The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No front bumper support?

So it just clicked that I don't have a front bumper support for #642. The cyber bumper was mounted fine without it, but from what I understand the USDM bumper won't mount without it. Is this correct? I wasn't sure since I've heard that you have to have one, yet its on the running list of items to completely eliminate.

steve

I thought Pivvay welded up some mounts to run no bumper support, just the cover. You need something to mount the cover to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thats what I thought. I'll have to look at it once the IC is in today. Hopefully I can fab something up without to much hassle.

NateCrisman

yeah, you need to rig up atleast 2, if not three small brackets to hold up the bumper cover if you want to completely remove the big metal support. The oem side brackets work fine, you just need to make two brackets that go to around the spot where the stock bumper support bolt on to the frame. Putting an additional one in the center keeps the cover from sagging in the middle.

SmoothCustomer

Right, it's the bolts behind the turn signals you would be losing. My bumper is only held to my car by 6 bolts and yours can be too if you rig something up for those 2 bolts. The 2 that are sort of underneath the headlights and the ones that bolt to the fenders are attached to the cover, not the bumper.

I don't suppose anyone has any pics of their brackets? Having trouble visualizing where I'm attaching to, since I never really had/saw the piece that I'm replacing.

GolfBall

hopefully you dont ever rear end somebody.... HAHAH....

no i take off the HEAVY front bumpers off all my "fast" cars.... i will take some good pics and do a write up when i take mine off but it will be about a week or two....

This won't be my "fast" car. Thats what rolling S13 chassis in my garage is for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif Normally I would prefer to have it since this is my daily, but since I don't have one and replacing doesn't seem to likely I guess I'm going without. I'll probably try to rig up something before the weekend. I'll post pics in my build thread if I do.

turbowop

I've found that the heavier USDM bumper just transmits more force through it during an impact, which means bent items behind it rather than the bumper itself. I'd rather have a bent bumper than a bent unibody. In a bad wreck, you're probably screwed either way.

prove_it

hit a tree and no matter what, your bending things. Trust me, I know.

With the rust that it has on the frame rails and drivers side floor pans, I'll junk it if I get into a major accident anyway. Just wouldn't be worth salvaging.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts