The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NO dash badges!!! wtf!?!?!? ....rant....

Ian M

I wouldn't swipe the badge off my cars if I sold them,I think it should stay with the car-but it wouldn't stop me from buying a car without it. It's neat,but the badge wasn't the coolest feature that attracted me to these cars originally-the quirky sleeper appeal,the practicality of 4 doors and AWD,cheap speed,and the fact they weren't belly button Hondas or DSMs was what made these cars tempting for me. Most of the time I have to try to remember what numbers my cars are.

One good thing about the badge,I suppose,is that you can show it to someone who can't understand why you actually choose to drive a early '90s Galant, and thinks you are full of sh*t when you tell them what the car is.

It's a shame these cars have such a limited market and they are worth more in parts. I doubt they'll ever bring any kind of money,it's just going to be a ever decreasing cult following till these cars dry up and only a few hardcore guys still own them. EVOs just don't fill the void for me,just not my thing,once I'm done with these cars I'm likely done with Mitsubishis for good.

Last edited:

Well I do suppose this was sparked by my post. I had two GVR4s, both of which had their plaque on them. I sold my first one (327/2000) and my last one (1198/2000) was destroyed by a rental Penske truck that backed into and kept on going. It was declared totaled, that dash plaque is from that car. The first GVR4 I had ever heard of where the PO kept the plaque was Pivvay's Galant. I thought that was worst thing you could do to an American GVR4.

Under normal circumstances I would never rip off the plaque, however, if the car is getting crushed then might as well take it off and give it to someone that could use it.

I have had that plaque for a while, the only reason why I sold it is because I saw someone get $50 for one last week on eBay.

I've had the problem of someone beating me to the badge at the junk yards,but I cant believe someone would want that as a decoration.Wish I could of got them to give to the iceman. sucks to think that some people dont love these cars as much as I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gtluke

nate completely disassembles complete, running, driving cars and sells off everything. then he's surprised that people don't want to buy a shell that doesn't even roll, and the buyer would have to go find all the parts he just sold and pay premium because you have to buy them one at a time, and pay shipping on every part. It's very, very hard to put a shell back together. even if you can find all the parts you have to find all the nuts and bolts and screws and sh*t. The only time I would consider buying a shell is if I crashed mine, because I know I have all the parts to put it back together.

we are here because we love galants. yet we are perfectly happy to watch our cars, our community, get crushed one car at a time. It's lunacy. I don't know how you guys can support this.
we don't need gvr4's to keep our cars running. we can source the parts from n/a galants, dsm's, jdm front clips and un repairable gvr4's.

we should not allow repairable gvr4's to be dismantled on this board. we provide the venue for our own ruin. so f***ing dumb.

thedsmguy

First off I'd like to chime in on Nates side. He's made some great points.

I NEED A DASH PLAQUE FOR CHEAP.

Now my views. I part a ton of cars out mostly dsm's like Nate but obviously we are in different parts of the country, cars here in the northwest rarely rot out. If I buy a gvr4 for cheap and there is no damage I'm going to fix it to sell it. Unless I need the cash quickly that a part out brings, you can strip all the parts you want and still get about $200 in scrap value of the car, its hard not to scrap any car dsm or gvr4 if your behind on bills or whatever and the car will be a break even car if you do fix it which is very common on these cars (Remember the $2000 quote on bodywork). I recently picked one up and I'm a huge fan I will not be parting this one out with the only exception being I found a SUPER mint shell that needed something that this car had that did not transfer from a dsm.

Yeah, I know its basically the same argument I just wanted to back Nate up.

And I hope these cars have value in the future but I doubt it will be anything significant.

NateCrisman

Quoting gtluke:

we should not allow repairable gvr4's to be dismantled on this board. we provide the venue for our own ruin. so f***ing dumb.

GTluke is obviously one of these guys that thinks having 3000 pile of garbage cars is preferable to 300 excelent cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif He advocates all the broken down cars that no-one wants anyway to be left to rot in some field rather than parted out and useful. He thinks no-one should be able to sell any parts that came off a GVR4 as a general rule. In his twisted delerium, he thinks that if partouts were banned that all these unwanted cars would somehow magically become loved, desired, and fixed up.

When are you going to get it through your head that partouts are not the cause, but the effect of the lack of demand. Blocking partouts doesn't increase demand or save any cars. All it does is make the same ones that get parted out just rot in someone's yard or go to the scrapyard whole. And it has the side effect of making all the running cars in true enthusiast hands harder to maintain and keep nice. Banning partouts or the sale of used USDM GVR4 parts only hurts the community. That's the cold hard truth.

If GTLuke had his way, you guys can't get doglegs, ground effects, badges, leather seats, turbo galant gauge clusters, turbo galant wiring harnesses, aws rear ends, GVR4 wheels, any BG body painted part, AWD galant fuel tanks and sending units, awd galant driveshafts, 4lug AWD hubs, gvr4 taillights and wings. Screw you guys...you need to get those parts off DSM's or import JDM parts. HAHAHA yeah...just try getting any of those parts off a dsm, standard usa galant GS.

lets see how insane expensive JDM bumpers, ground effects, and taillights become when used USDM parts aren't avalable. what you will see is all the GVR4's running around naked and missing parts.

When GVR4 owners can't find a gas tank or sending unit..you will see cars getting cut apart for fuel cells or scrapped all together. you can't run a car without a fuel tank..(one of the most sought after parts for this car is the fuel pump sending unit...that thing is gold).

If you were really really really so concerned about the community, then you should be demanding that every owner/member that wants to get out of his GVR4 recruit a new member to buy the car. That's the real problem and the main reason why there is little to no demand for these cars whole and running. If you don't want to see these cars unwanted, left to rot, and parted out.....GO FIND PEOPLE TO BUY THEM WHOLE! GET THE WORLD INTERESTED IN GVR4's. GROW THE COMMUNITY & INCREASE THE DEMAND FOR WHOLE CARS Don't sit here and bitch that cars end up in the scrap heap because no-one wants to buy them whole and the value is so poor that most sellers are forced to part it out in order to be rid of it. The community shrinking is the cause for these cars ending up junk. How can you guys not see it that the cars can't survive without enough enthusiasts to support the #of cars. 1500 cars & 1000 enthusiasts is not a sustainable ratio........that's 500 cars destined for junkyards.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting thedsmguy:
First off I'd like to chime in on Nates side. He's made some great points.

I NEED A DASH PLAQUE FOR CHEAP.

Now my views. I part a ton of cars out mostly dsm's like Nate but obviously we are in different parts of the country, cars here in the northwest rarely rot out. If I buy a gvr4 for cheap and there is no damage I'm going to fix it to sell it.
Yeah, I know its basically the same argument I just wanted to back Nate up.

And I hope these cars have value in the future but I doubt it will be anything significant.

The real problem is most of the time your going to invest money fixing the car up, get it running good: and you going to be stuck sitting on it for months trying to sell it for a price high enough to recoup your investment and turn a profit to pay for your work.

On side note, I saw a dash plaque on ebay this week...it didn't sell..didn't get to reserve. look that one up and strike a deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Last edited:

gtluke

oh please. you parted out one car because it had a lot of door dings. you parted out those 2 white ones because you didn't feel like putting them back together. thankfully someone else did.

there are enough crashed or otherwise destroyed galants to supply the few parts we actually need. i bought my dogleg from the dealer, it was $35, I shortened the return tube from a dsm tank pickup to replace my busted one.

Allowing partouts on this board is like allowing a bar to open at an AA meeting. I mean it's where all the people that would buy alcohol hang out right? They want it, I have it, why not make a profit?

we're broke. we cant help it. if anyone of us were rich i guarantee they would have a huge stable of GVR4's in some giant shed somewhere.

NateCrisman

Quoting gtluke:
oh please. you parted out one car because it had a lot of door dings. you parted out those 2 white ones because you didn't feel like putting them back together. thankfully someone else did.

there are enough crashed or otherwise destroyed galants to supply the few parts we actually need. i bought my dogleg from the dealer, it was $35, I shortened the return tube from a dsm tank pickup to replace my busted one.

Allowing partouts on this board is like allowing a bar to open at an AA meeting. I mean it's where all the people that would buy alcohol hang out right? They want it, I have it, why not make a profit?

As usual, your facts are wrong and your distorting them intentionally.

The first car he's is referring to is #931. GTluke says "a few door dings". What reality is was two creased fenders, a waffled rear 1/4 pannel, an uneven roof, and paint that needed complete sanding to bare metal. The two body shop guestimates were both over I got on the work was to replace both fenders and the two worst doors with new panels because the old panels were more expensive to fix than replace. The worst damage on the car was unfortunatly on the unreplacable panels (rear 1/4 and roof). This car also had 200+k actual miles. It also has a TMU total mileage unknown title. I wanted a nicer condition GVR4 than this. Found #139 for sale. 931 had about 4500 worth of performance parts and drivetrain in it. It would have sold complete/running for maybe $2100 to $2300 (I paid $2300). How stupid would I have to be to sell #931 whole for 2100 and rebuy all the same parts to put 139 together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The white cars your refering to are my original white 92..which I parted in winter 2004, sold to PhilthMonger who rebuilt it, and now someone else owns. Yeah I parted that one in the typical way...I took the blown engine out of it, sold the modifications and left the rolling chassis alone. I sold the rolling chassis whole. What are you complaining about...that one wasn't ever "dead" or really parted out in the sense we are talking in this thread.

The second white galant I bought with intents to fix and drive. It was whole, but some NYC moron kid had it all half-ass modified and it didn't run. I never got to touch it, I was just too busy moving the shop in blairstown. Sold to TommyP who rebuilt it into a stellar GVR4. No harm No foul. If anything, I contributed to the community by transporting a rotting GVR4 sitting in someones yard not running into NJ and putting it in the hands of someone that was built it into a nice car.

Anyway...only one of those white galants was parted, and it wasn't parted out the way we are talking here (down to bare shell).

Your facts are both wrong and presented to distort the truth.

And your bar at an AAA meeting analogy also doesn't work. At an AAA meeting....keeping alcohol away from the members solves the problem. But banning GVR4 partouts (keeping the used parts away from the willing buyers) doesn't solve the problem. The problem is these cars aren't wanted so they sit and rot.

A better analogy for your proposed Banning of Partouts is Prohibition of alcohol: In which some high and mighty beurocrat wants to enforce HIS VALUES AND MORALS on an unwilling population. Just like prohibition didn't stop alcohol consumtion at all, banning partouts will not stop GVR4's from going unloved and neglected. Prohibition didn't stop the sale of alcohol, it just forced it underground and out of control: Banning partouts on GalantVR4 just means I sell the same parts to the same people via Ebay and every other DSM site....and a large chuck of GalantVR4 members now feel the club management are dictator duschebags.

In the end, our government figured out that you can't stop alcohol by banning it. When are you going to figure out you can't stop the neglect of GVR4s by banning the sale of used parts. Your proposed rule is one of those FEEL GOOD laws that seems smart at first glance but doesn't work and actually is detrimental to the population when reasonable people think about how it is applied in reality.

Come up with a real solution that actually fixes the problem. If you don't want to see these cars in the junkyard then the only real solution is to inflate the demand and value so that they are actually worth more running than for scrap steel and used parts. The only way your going to do that is by club member recruitment and getting people interested in buying these cars at logical prices. So long as any owner of these cars can't sell the car for any more than it's worth as a partout...that's what the majority of them will end up like: partouts.
It is a failure of the free market

Last edited:

381gvr4

I completely agree with what Nate is doing. What I dont agree with is saying you get a thrill out of upsetting people with your partouts. Comes off real bad in text. Picking out the cars a little too far gone for anything less than extensive repair. I passed up Chris' car a month or so again because the front end damage which is a repair I can make right here at home. Atleast the cars that are cared for by us are getting better and weeding out the junk.

I just hope you donate to the site that creates your income!!!!

Last edited:

gtluke

banning the dismantling of perfectly good gvr4's will stop people from buying perfectly good gvr4's with the intent of crushing them.
nate's totally destroyed car (destroyed by door dings) was armondo's daily driver for years, and clemente's daily driver for years. it was in copmletely fine running and driving shape when nate decided to part it out. body parts for the galants are basically free. nate doesn't like doing body work and driving a car with door dings i guess is so painful that parting it out was the only solution.
yawn. yet another car that's not showing up at the next gvr4 meet.
i couldn't give a sh*t about the value of my car, rare or not. i enjoy driving it, not selling it.

NateCrisman

No you are flat out wrong. Banning partouts on this site would and could not prevent me from runnig partouts. All it does is force the for sale adds to a different site. It just means members have to shop elsewhere. You didn't solve anything. Demand for the cars still goes steadily down and more go to waste.

I'm really stunned that a smart guy like you doesn't get it.

Do you think banning pot stops drug use?
Would banning guns stop all murders?
Dis banning alcohol stop it?

Quoting jepherz:
Wow, you've seen badges on vr4s at junkyards? Wait, you've seen vr4s at junkyards?!?

Agreed!

gtluke

we shouldn't provide the venue for you to destroy our cars. nobody can stop you from doing whatever you want, but we are financially and socially supporting your dismantling of our community.
Free market works all ways. I would use the free market (my company, this website (not mine)) to make it illogical to part out galants, therefor making it more logical for people to get them running before they are sold whole. sure people could part out cars elsewhere, but cost and difficulty goes up for them.

look at the way ferrari keeps the value of their cars so high. making it illogical for you to purchase a 2nd hand ferrari, or having your ferrari worked on by someone other then ferrari. this IS free market. they are free to favor customers based on previous purchases. it works for them, but it pisses me off, and that's fine. it's a free market, so i'm free to not purchase from them. it's the same thing with apple computers. free market allows them to sell a computer for double that of the competition. if they can do it, they are free to do it.

Polish

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/horse.gif

i dont think i could restore my car to its original glory if it weren't for people parting out POS GVR4's. to the best of my ability i would like to obtain oem original GVR4 parts for my car and not supplement dsm or standard galant pieces. Some GVR4's have to take a bullet so that others may live. Thats the way it is with all cars not just ours. Thats the way its always gonna be.

Street Surgeon

Wow...

This can all be summed up as follows.

Mitsubishi Galant VR-4's aren't worth much, probably won't be worth much in the future, and typically many are in a general state of disrepair. IF you like yours, and it's clean, then keep it that way. If you want to be Captain Save-A-Hoe then BUY or pick up these busted shells and "restore" these fantastic works of modern art /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Rather than complain about people parting them DO something about it, buy one.

I like these cars, but sometimes we have to step back and get in touch with reality. Most people don't give a crap about GVR4's, and if we as a community cared as much about them as some claim, then we would buy these shells or take them off of other peoples hands. I like my car, it's fairly clean and now it runs like a top after some major maintenance. That being said, I also know what I own, a relic of years past that's widely been forgotten and is only appreciated by true niche enthusiasts. It will never fetch the kind of coin that I've put into it, nor do I expect it to. Keep the good ones on the road, and a few spares in the garage. What happens to the rest I could give a $hit.

So, Ill have another GVR4 shell in maybe 3 or 4 weeks...I'll expect to see you with $100 in hand to save it from the crusher after Im done "restocking inventory"

sweet hit me up with some pic and give me time to schedule off work and ill come get it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned