The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newb From NW GA

Hi everyone this is my virgin post,semi-proud newest owner of 1439/2000 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I'm in Acworth, GA, I've had it since dec. 4th drove it for 4 days till I scored a beater to drive, been taking it apart bit by bit and diagnosing problems, etc...
I'm afraid this is turning into a full restoration! Reminds me of a '73 firebird I had at 16 that I had to walk away from..
discovery's so far:

- This is not a native GA car had to come from some where with salted roads

-It is/was smoking something terrible after it warmed up and more so after sitting at idle

-Rough and inconsistent idle (stalls while coasting to a stop sometimes)

-has some kinda oil leak from multiple places on the engine (valve cover, oil pump, etc..)

-filling in knock sensor melted out onto the block

-Brakes are terrible and scary, very mushy and week feeling

-4 wheel steering lines are all rusted and leaking bad front, rear, middle ...you name it

-Shoddy half a**'d work all over the place looks as if the car has been owned by 10 teenagers who put about $1000 worth into the car each and sold it to the next

-evo viii interior install needs sorting and a proper install

-some sort of electrical short that's frying the little 4 fuse junction box that used to come off the + batt side when it was in the engine bay
now in the trunk..on the driver side... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif its frying mainly at the blue alt. 30A fuse

There are countless little things all over this car that are jerry-rigged and just plan lazy mods, but at the same time someone(s) spent some money on it.
my plan for now is to fix the above mentioned problems and general clean up, and sorting.

I'm excited and discouraged about this project as I come from a motorcycle racing background and have never dealt with a car like this but it could be alot of fun, I welcome any hints, suggestions, help...or donations lol

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

PM vman911 (Vinny) and turboflanagan (Peter) both live just miles below you and know whats up with these cars also Vinny I think still has another shell for sale that is almost complete so you might have a parts car about an hour or so away for cheap.

Hey I live in Acworth too. I owned the car for about 5 years.

Oh and f*** you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Why bash the previous owners of the car when you could bash your car buying abiliy instead? If the car has problems now, you fucked up by buying it. You sound like you don't know a thing about these cars and that's your fault. I hope I never see you or the car around.

Makes me sad to see an inflammatory intro by some douchebag who lives probably 10 miles from me that now owns the car. You started off on the wrong foot here. I hope you give it up soon.

curtis

Hold up is 1439 the panda car with the 3 spoke wheels. If so you need to do some serious ass kissing to get back in crankwalk's good graces and maybe mow his yard and take of trash for a few years. Its down fall wasn't with him I'm sure.

curtis

Ok I just looked and it is pandemonium .....Oh you just fucked yourself around here. 1 post and already stuck it in sideways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Damn! I'll remove the call outs....

I'm not an internet gangster, When you see things like a bolt someone screwed through the rear wheel well as a means of attaching the rear seat...that's where my point is
Your right, all of you, I can't really blame any one person but myself. When your looking through something like this it's kinda hard not to assess blame
I have built many race bikes and would stand by all of them when I sold them, now they might be shot out too, but I doubt any of the owners would go through the trouble I did with them so I'd still have an idea whats up.
Cars are alien to me, I usually just use them as transportation, this ones a different story, I wanted to have some fun and my older brother is into dsm's
seemed a logical choice

Crankwalk if you wanna pm me, your welcome to come see for yourself, sorry if you think I'm douchey, maybe I can prove you wrong, caustic yes.

turbowop

Running the bolt through the wheelwell is one of my biggest issues with fitting the Evo rear seat, as well as the seat bottom not fitting correctly and leaving large gaps underneath.

That said, I fear for the day that I actually sell 1051 to somebody. I'd hate to see a list of questionable work done by me. I keep a shitload of zip-ties in the garage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Barnes

Hmmm, this reminds me of a situation we had like this before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

*update*

Where to start, I was trying to get to the bottom of the whole smoking issue, and took the motor down to the head (being rebuilt) and removed it, now the engines at the machinist getting bored .20 over due to a nice gouge in cylinder 2 from what I have no idea, forged pistons are on the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif its getting balanced and all kinda love

-Engine has 1g pistons / rods contrary to my belief when purchased confirmed by machinist to have 21mm wristpins

-still trying to confirm the web cams, the ones in there look like stockers but I dunno could be regrind

-trying to confirm shep tranny

-front brake rotors installed on the wrong wheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif (they're running backward not taking in or venting air properly)

-making proper fog light trim pieces out of CF instead of the electrical tape trim covers

-has a brand new water pump + radiator (might explain melted knock sensor)

-turbo screwed, got a new one

In the process of removing 4ws, installing active toe elim. custom external gate setup coming + DP + o2 + turbo mani + switching to a BB turbo (lag sux!)
poly bushings install, new rotors on the way + hawk pads, trying to confirm what rear end it has, bumping compression up a lil, many many dollars spent $$$
trying to decide on eagle H beams as well as acl race bearings + abs removal

still motivated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

jnava

Staff member
So, no 2g pistons?

Great start and welcome!

If you're inside the motor, look into getting the 2g (8.5:1) if you haven't already ordered them in that style.

Again, Welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

jnava

Staff member
Might wanna get that mic calibrated, Geno, its supposed to have 2g pistons.

I had the machinist check twice for me, he said:
21mm wrist pin (I assume this means it has 1g everything rods, wrist pins, pistons, etc...)
85mm bore that has to get bored .20 over due to scratch in cylinder wall
Crank & rods are usable at standard size after polishing

Confirmed it has web cams tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif grind # 546/547 so that's a relief

Definitely going with ACL race bearings

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned