The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New wheels and tires

kartorium

These are the galant's new wheels and tires. Specs are 17x8.5 @ 48mm and 255/40 falken azenis. This setup is from an STI. First of all, this setup doesn't work without some grinding and welding in the rear similar to what Luke did with his RX7 wheels. I have yet to start the car and test drive it or check full lock and bump rubbing in the front. Right now with the lip ground off the lower arm in the rear The car will roll, but I think its too close for comfort, so 5mm spacers will be used.

In the front my camber is maxed out on the plates, but I have my camber bolts full positive so that the wheel/tire don't rub on the lower spring perches on the coilovers. Miraculously these wheels clear the wilwoods with room to spare. I'll post more about this setup later once I actually drive it and make sure everything is perfect.

Does anyone know a good cheap place to get some 5mm spacers (5x114)?

Please excuse the bumper isn't bolted on yet and neither are the dog legs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
That looks hot.

skivittlerjimb

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif The front tires stick out less than the 245/40R17s 17x8 38ET do on my car.

That rear trailing arm clearance is a little sketchy but with the 5mm spacers you should be good to go. Plus you'll even out front and rear track a bit, which isn't a bad thing.

Are the events you're running in anal about tires sticking out past the fenders a bit? Also, do you know what front camber #s you ended up with and what plates and coilovers are you using?

Lastly, what years of STi wheels will work? Great find.

-Jim B.
280/1000

kartorium

The 5mm spacers should make it possible to bring the camber back in with the bolts instead of the upper plates also, and allow for some flex in everthing.

I haven't been to an event yet that was concerned with a bit of tire extrusion. My coilovers are hotbits and the plates are teins. The bolts are ingalls. I have no clue what the camber is on any of this, right now I'm still kinda in "mock up" stage. The car won't get aligned until I have spacers and feel that this setup is gonna be safe and work to my standards.

If you look for STI wheels from 05 and up they have 5x114 pattern. Most of them seem to run at least a 40 offset and a maximum of like 52. The 40 or so offset would probably work better for this application, and to be specific the enkei rpf1's, but its hard to find those for cheap.

Last edited:

wheels off the 05+ sti will work as long as you do the 5 lug conversion. the 05+ sti's have a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, where as the older ones had a 5x100 bolt pattern

turbowop

Looks good. I'm not sure why you had to run positive camber with the bolts on the front? Just using the top plates to get negative camber isn't going to cause any rubbing issues on the coilover, since it moves with the wheel/tire. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you said?

FWIW, with my Tein plates fully cambered in, I get -2degrees.

*edit* Nevermind, I know what you're saying about the rubbing now. It's caused by having too much offset, putting the wheel/tire into the coilover.

Last edited:

that seems like it really shouldn't fit but it does and looks pretty sweet

kartorium

Update:

I put on some H&R 5mm spacers and everything seems to be ok. So far I haven't had any rubbing in the back. The front sounds like it rubs on the inner fender area at full lock (I never go full lock anyways)

So, for an 8.5" wheel the back needs to be close to a 40mm offset and some minor lip adjustment on the trailing arm.

The front should probably be more like a 40 or 44 offset. 48 is too high, but will work. Eventually I need to get some spacers or a different offset wheel so that I can get some more camber in front.

skivittlerjimb

Any updates, Karter? A good deal on this very same set of 17x8.5s just came up. Worth the trouble for a dedicated set of track wheels and tires?

-Jim B.
280/1000

kartorium

If its a good deal do it. The car sticks like glue. So far I haven't had issues with anything. No significant rubbing, and the hacked up rear arm is doing fine.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Karter, how long are your front springs? I am having some fit issues up front with my +48 wheels too. I don't like how close the tire/wheel is coming to the lower adjuster on the coilovers. My stock perches are removed and I have 10" springs. I think I need 8 or maybe even 7" up front (I am trying to go quite low on the summer setting).

kartorium

I'll have to look. Mine are hotbits, so whatver came with them. I suppose I could take out the helper springs to bring the spanner nuts/perches up a bit, but I'm doubting that I could ever get the spring and perches higher than the tire. Might try that if you have helpers though.

The next best option I think is just to buy some of the H&R spacers. They are really nice.

dc_style

sorry. bringing it up again.. not very good with technical terms... but i'm trying to purchase a set of 17x8.5 rims with 235/45/17 tires. what will be required to make them fit? they are a +30 offset.. if someone could just list the steps that need to be taken to make this work, that would be great. thanks again!

belize1334

Remember that lower offset means the wheel will stick farther out. I don't think an 8.5" wheel at +30 is gonna fit under the fender no matter what you do. Also, you could run a much wider tire on that wheel or narrower wheel for that tire. I've seen 235 on 7" which is an extreme but 225 fits nicely on 7" and a 235 would easily sit on a 7.5".

kartorium

Roger is right.

Look at Number 3, IIRC it has 8.5" ce28's at a 32 +- 1mm. His barely fit the fenders, so going even lower offset than that on a 17x8.5 is going to be even worse (fender clearance wise).

If you are getting the wheels for cheap and can resell them, give it a try, otherwise find something with an offset closer to 40 or 42.

blacksheep

here we go again, another fuckin played out time attack look - wtf, man. Don't you know any better!

:rollseyes:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

looks good, Karter. I love it

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned