The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Transmission Problem

Dan D

I had my transmission rebuilt by Jacks this past fall. I finally got around to installing it this past weekend. Got everything in, clutch bled, etc. and couldn’t get 5th or reverse. Ah! Shifter adjustment. Re-adjusted the cable ends. No luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif.

I took the shifter cables off on the trans side and actuated the levers directly by hand. 1st to 4th are no problem. The select lever will go into the 5th/Rev position, but the shift lever won’t budge to select either gear.

After almost a year of being parked, I had to take my new engine’s first break in drive with no 5th or reverse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Any ideas on what to check without pulling the tranny back off. I’d like to rule out all possibilities before returning the car to JSB’ing status.

Barnes

Unscrew your reverse sensor and try it again. If it works, re-tighten your reverse sensor, but not as tight. You can also add additional crush washers under the sensor to space it out.

Dan D

Ding Ding Ding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

You win. That seems to be the problem. With no sensor, 5 & reverse engage easily. I'll have to go get some washers now because even finger tight impeedes shifting.

Thanks for the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting BarnesMobile:
Unscrew your reverse sensor and try it again. If it works, re-tighten your reverse sensor, but not as tight. You can also add additional crush washers under the sensor to space it out.

Very good advice Mr. Barnes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

And thank you Dan for telling us that fixed it.

Barnes

I gotta pull my weight around here every once in a while right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif Glad I could help.

raptorWagon

damn it, I had been having this problem for a long time and everyone kept pointing towards the cables or a bad shift fork. Doesn't matter now though, as I'm just going to get the trans rebuilt.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts