The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New throttlebody

grocery_getter

How old is the alternator?

Quoting cheekychimp:
Quoting spooling92vr4:
paul I think with the 1990 tb the bottom piece cannot be taken off.

I'll check that out! Thanks. I love mine, it has solved so many issues and the idle is rock steady. Tthe only issue I have with it is that it has a slightly high idle that I don' seem to be able to get any lower. It's only about 1,000 rpms but it seems so much better when it sits at about 750-800 rpms. Thing I noticed though is that at night it DOES idle at 800 rpms. Turning on my fogs and headlights drops my rpms by 200. I'm assuming that convenient though that is for getting a good idle that it is neither good nor normal? Is that a grounding issue?

OMFGeofffff

Quoting EJ045:
i have a question..in that throttle body, there is a male plug, the one at the left portion.. what is that for?

That's the closed throttle switch. Basically tells the ecu if you're on the gas or not by grounding out the sensor.

spooling92vr4

alright, so I found myself in a position where I needed a new throttle body and figured I would give this one a ride, I just got recieved it in the mail today.

so far I bolted all the sensors and stuff on it, I havent had a chance to get it on the car though. there are no vaccum lines on it which is nice for me because I always cap them off. the only problem is that there is no idle switch, once again not a problem because I can simulate the idle switch with dsmlink. Im sure it wouldn't be difficult to make the switch work somehow.

Im putting it on the car today and Ill let you guys know what happens.

Spam

I'm tripping hardcore right now...I used to have two Magnus manifolds until I sold one about a year ago. One was tapped for a stock TB and the other a Mustang one. I went to get the manifold out of a box in my shed and what do I see?...a damn 75mm Accufab mounted on a Magnus manifold. For some reason I got all excited when I saw this S90 on Ebay my head imagined it mounted in my car and I bought it...expensive stupid mistake, will probably end up in the for sale section now. Anyhow...pics:

Sitting next to a ported (63mm) stock throttle body.
2010-11-22_21-03-51_476.jpg

2010-11-22_21-03-43_673.jpg

number3

Make sure you keep an eye on the screws.

brisvr4

^^ You mean the throttle plate screws? If so, I have already had a mate at an engineering shop make sure that there is no way that they can back out.

belize1334

What is the bore diameter on the back side? Is it tapered or 70mm all the way through?

brisvr4

It's 70mm all the way through.

belize1334

Digging this up...

More of these have hit ebay but I can't tell if they're the same company...

click

Externally it looks identical but the shaft and plate are different.

brisvr4

Hmmm, You are right about that throttle plate. It does look like it's made from a different material.
I do know that Slowboy kicked up a big stink when the S90 ones were being offered on Ebay.

belize1334

In very high HP applications, or if you're at the limit on your turbo then a larger bore TB will reduce the pressure drop across the TB and thus free up a little power. For my money the benefit is more in the fact that these are priced comparably to the cost of getting an OEM unit rebuilt. That is, if you want a 1G n/t unit to be bored and rebuilt, it's $175 plus ~$40 core fee. At that point, buying a bolt-on after-market unit is pretty attractive, regardless of the bore. The only thing I don't like is the lack of pressure-ports.

Update: the seller was very clear that he is NOT selling an s90 unit but rather a unit manufactured in a different warehouse with whom he contracts. Why the housing has EXACTLY the same design I don't know. Maybe they both buy the same blanks and then assemble them in house.

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

Quoting brisvr4:
Hmmm, You are right about that throttle plate. It does look like it's made from a different material.
I do know that Slowboy kicked up a big stink when the S90 ones were being offered on Ebay.

Hahaha, yeah well the S90 throttlebodies were being sold on ebay for < 200.00 a pop and people were starting to see how much SBR was ripping everyone off.

onesickcrx

Well I just got my S90 throttle body... I am happy to see the screws for the throttle plate are peened. It is really nice peace plus it tappers to 69.60mm not 63mm like my oem rebuilt over bored one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am sure my car will make good use of the extra air flow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I still plan to pressure test it along with the rest of my system lets hope she holds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

brisvr4

Mine should be up and running by the weekend too. I'm hoping for good things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brisvr4

Well I finally got my car into a running state again!
The new throttle body drives every bit as nicely as the stock unit. Great throttle response and no stumbling etc at all.
I've yet to give it a big foot-full as I still have to retune for the other mods that I did at the same time.
Overall I love it!

cheekychimp

I thought you would like it. I was very pleased with mine. Can't wait to get it back on the replacement VR4 since the other one had a short life at the hands of a Hong Kong taxi driver.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts