The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New stumble on initial press of accelerator pedal (SOLVED)

thomcasey

Thank you. I will do that and report my findings. I have also obtained a test TB just in case something is cracked with mine post plate.

thomcasey

That didn't change anything. Plugs were covered in soot. Cleaned and gapped them. No real change. Problems are all below 3k rpm. Maybe timing? I suppose I could check Monday evening

thomcasey

I went ahead and swapped out the TB for the once from my son's motor and the problem seems to be gone. So, something on my TB is leaking bad, even though it didn't present on the Boost Leak check. I ordered a used TB from PerformancePartout and will send it out to be cleaned and rebuilt when I receive it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Curious. That's good news.

thomcasey

Yes, it is very curious. There is a FAIV Bypass plate installed, with a new seal. And it was working fine for about a week before I started seeing the issues. I am thinking maybe a crack developed from the bypass installation (primarily breaking the factory FIAV screws loose) and allowed the extra air to enter the system. I am installing a new ISC in the replacement TB today and then using link to adjust the idle/BISS to be sure everything is actually good.

thomcasey

Well, I didn't wait long enough. Stumble came back. Had my son sit in the car while it was idling and I injected brake clean at the base of the injectors and found this on Injector 1!!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Ahh. One of those got me once too. Amazing what a difference that can make.

thomcasey

Yea, so I ordered a PTE injector specific set. So, I am not really sure what is causing the -40° reading for the IAT, but that can be bypassed and troubleshot at a later date. Not tom mention, it will be easier to work it if the car runs right first.

thomcasey

Injector seals didn't fix it. Looked closer at my logs and saw that my Baro reading was -9.8inHg with the engine off (I am at 1100ft, so it should have been zero or positive. I heard may rumors about the OmniPower MAP sensors having quality issues (mine was only 10 months old) so I replaced it with a new AEM 3.5 Bar and she is al good now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned