The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Product Proposal for W5M33 Owners:

noglets

(REPOST FROM A DSM FACEBOOK GROUP, NOT MY INFORMATION)

“New product proposal for W5M33 owners:

I (Sam)'ve been playing with a design idea I've had for a while for the Early Evo 1-3, Galant VR4, DSM, Lancer GSR etc etc W5M33 platform.

My design is a real kind of ground up approach to what I see as the major problem with this box.

The major problem with the platform is 4th gear. There are a fair few associated problems around that, but 4th is the core problem. It's thin, and undercut for bearing fitment on the intermediate shaft. They tend to explode at anything over 220wkw.

The problem is compounded with a lack of parts availability for more modernised gears with better synchros and better ratios (i.e. Evo 2/3 with triple synchro 3rd and 4th and better ratios).

A lot of guys who are just weekending their car, or street driving, don't really want the dog boxes or straight cut gears that are on offer. Those products are suited for a purpose, and definitely have a place on the market.

Some other products I've seen weld a gear onto the intermediate shaft etc. Not exactly a desirable idea.

My design permits a ~35% wider 4th gear, and a ~25% wider 3rd gear; it incorporates a better (billet) bearing support housing, a billet fork with an adaptable rail; and a centre diff housing that is already machined for 4-spiders and an upgraded cross pin. It would also come with carbon lined 3-piece synchros and a matching hub and sleeve, to name a few.

The gears would be helical, lower helix angle and similar or same ratio to Evo 3 (25:29 3rd, 29:25 4th). They'd be profile ground so of a very high finish quality. The gears would be removable off of the intermediate shaft, and potentially have removable dog rings, too. 4th would go from being the weakest part of the box, to the strongest.

I can list out a full list of the 20-odd parts that would come in the kit in detail if there is enough interest for this idea.

I've designed, drawn and 3d printed the concept to make sure everything will work and fit. It does. The kit will fit any W5M33.

To get the project off the ground at a reasonable price, we would need about 30 people to commit by paying for the set up front. It will take around 6 months to produce. If we can't get the product off the ground, or there's not enough buy in, the money will be refunded in full.

We'd be working with suppliers around the world that I've worked with already - Of course here in Adelaide and Australia, but also Taiwan, India and Italy to make sure we can get the best product at the best price. This would all take some time. I'd keep you informed on major milestones and delays, but 6 months seems realistic.

From costing estimates I've received, We would need to retail the set at AUD 5500 + GST. To entice 30 up-front commitments though, the absolute best price we can offer it at to get it off the ground would be AUD 4500 + GST. For our friends from around the world, that is about USD 2900 ; EUR 2750 ; GBP 2400 ; JPY 430,000, or NZD 4800 depending on the exchange rate.

What I'm going to do is ask if anyone is interested, to write "interested" below. To be clear, this is not a commitment to pay yet, it's just a general interest if you'd like to know more.

If it looks like this will garner enough interest, I will start a new Facebook group and add you in where we can discuss details of the set, and how the pre-production order would work etc.

To be clear: This is a set that includes a wider and stronger 3rd and 4th gear, a centre diff housing and cross pin, billet bearing housing, billet 3-4 fork and shift rail, carbon 3rd and 4th synchro, hub and sleeve, and associated components to make it all work. It runs with your standard 1st, 2nd and 5th gears - those parts wouldn't be included in the set.

Let me know what you think below.”

~Sam at Neat Gearboxes
B3DE1295-8247-421B-B5C4-29DCAD986DD6.jpeg

Tondar

sounds good to me assuming they make it in such a way we can get replacement parts more easily as well

Last edited:

Tondar

interesting that now they're talking about 1st and 2nd.. I don't hear about too many people breaking those gears? It would be nice if they make something similar to the EVOIII 1st just so we have that option again, as well as EVOIII 5th for the better cruising RPM.

gvr4ever

GVR4 1st gear is generally too tall for drag racing. I'm still upset with myself for not getting an EVO III 5th on my last rebuild.

I hope this project grows large enough to offer each part required and not a whole kit or nothing.

Tondar

Anyone know from the facebook group if they're still on track for taking orders by the end of the month, any other updates? Thx!

Tondar

I just submitted my order and posted this to DSMTuners:

I'm not sure but I think it is advisable to NOT use PayPal for this (which is an option on the Neat cart), the currency conversion PayPal is using is not in your best interest. I don't know what my credit card company will use but can't be worse than what PayPal was showing (famous last words I know).

Update.. not really sure which payment option to use, PayPals conversion rate was pretty poor, using your credit card will put the conversion through Stripe - I don't know what they use. Considering the amount of money $7760 AUD (with shipping) the conversion rate can be impactful.

Current Rate (estimate) 1 USD = 1.51 AUD
PayPal current rate: 1 USD = 1.45142 AUD (ridiculous)
Stripe rate: ????

Update: I just placed my order and it appears Stripe gives you the current rate of 1 USD = 1.51 which ends up saving a few hundred dollars. just FYI for everyone, I'll update again if I see anything change - bottomline right now is to use Stripe (not PayPal) in the Neat Gearbox Cart at checkout

Tondar

Got an email from Neat (I think everyone in the FB group did) they need 10 more orders to make this happen - get in if you're able!

Tondar

They're going to allow people to pay a deposit to get in with the full amount due next year tax time, it will end up being more than those who already paid but still a discount from future MSRP.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned