The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner of 692/1000 I have a Question?

rdomeck

I just purchased this yesterday from another member here on the board. It has had the balance shaft belt removed and I have ordered the parts to do the elimination of the shaft. I tried doing a search for the pro's and con's of this but couldn't make sense of all the post not related to balance shafts! I understand the balance shaft started knocking and that was determined by cutting the belt and running the engine! I replaced the drive belts today and drove it home. What will it hurt to drive this until I get the parts to remove the balance shafts?

The parts from the shaft removal will be in by the end of the week from the dealer.

Thanks, Randy

SouthCaliVR4

I have been running my current engine without the balance shaft belt in for a couple years with no notable problems. front & rear balance shafts in place just no belt on the front one.

GSX_TC

nothing will happen but dont run it like that forever. having no balance shafts just free up a few extra horsepower and makes the motor a lil buzzier or grungier (a tad more vibration) but its not that bad. it beats having to ever worry about it seizing up and having that belt tangle with the timing belt and having the pistons collide with your valves.

jmorri15

the only downside ive heard to leaving it in place without the belt on it is a slight drop in oil pressure but i really didnt notice one.

When I bought my car I discovered it had the front balance shaft belt disconnected but still had the rear balance shaft in the engine. I didn't notice any unusual vibration with just the one shaft spinning but I still removed it.

You won't have any lower oil pressure by leaving the front balance shaft in the engine unless the bearings are beat to hell. If the front balance shaft was knocking when the belt was installed then they very well may be.

I recommend checking the oil pressure of the engine or better yet installing an oil pressure gauge. These engines are known for having issues with high oil pressure. After removing the rear balance shaft and leaving the front one in place my engine would peg the gauge at 100psi on a cold start-up and hit 100psi by 3K RPM. After porting the oil pressure relief valve the oil pressure goes no higher than 80psi as Mitsubishi intended.

rdomeck

Well.....Not sure if this has ever happened to any of you guys before, but. The bearing came out of the bore for the balance shaft, so #3 main was not getting any oil.

I guess it won't run like that for a long time!

I'm not sure if I was lucky or not, but the tensioner pulley bolt was loose so it jumped time, bent valves, and may have cracked piston's. Wouldn't have found the balance shaft bearing had it not been for the bent valves. The engine build is on.

The ironic thing is that I picked up the parts for the balance shaft removal 5 hours before the collision of the valves and pistons.

I will end up with an oil pressure gauge at the least when the engine goes back in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned