The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of #1736 91 GVR4

transparentdsm

if you haven't put it back together you should find a place or person local to you that can clean the injectors while you have them out.

91GVR4BG

Exactly where my filler hose was leaking when I got mine haha. Nice bro keep at the build! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mr_Fielgood

Quote:
In response to
Poster: transparentdsm
Subject: Re: New Owner of #1736 91 GVR4

if you haven't put it back together you should find a place or person local to you that can clean the injectors while you have them out.

Yeah I didn't think of that until after I reinstalled the injectors. I had to get it all back together anyways since this is my only way of getting to work.

Mr_Fielgood

Quote:

In response to
Poster: 91GVR4BG

Exactly where my filler hose was leaking when I got mine haha. Nice bro keep at the build!

Thanks man! Yeah that hose was puking fuel. No bueno lol

transparentdsm

Brett remember when i moved back to Tahoe 2 years ago, i drove my VR4 140 mile round trip to and from Placerville every day. they can be good dailys.

Mr_Fielgood

In response to
Poster: GSTwithPSI

Quoting Fielgood1736:

this is my only way of getting to work.

You cray.

Yeah it can sometimes be nerve wracking. I'm thinking about saving up for a cheaper more reliable daily so I can build 1736 without worrying about it going down again.

KiNgMaRtY

When owning any older car, especially if it's mod friendly as ours are, it is always a good idea to have a back up car.

prove_it

Or,

Don't hack it up, mess around with crap, and do repair properly. I used 715 as a family car for years. Got stranded a couple times, once for a cooked alternator, once for cracked radiator, once due to a wally pump failure, and once for a blown trans.

I did by a second car though, mostly due to wanting a nicer family car and to take more time on the GVR4.

You can daily them, it's the ones that are hacked up or don't get repaired fully or maintained right that have bigger constant troubles.

Mr_Fielgood

The carpet is cleaned, the front and rear seats look brand new and I'm a happy camper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Better photos later on.

turdb0

Wow, the interior looks so clean. I should strip mine and do some cleaning too, but 2 other downed DSMs currently take precedence. Come up to San Fran and visit!

Mr_Fielgood

Quote:

In response to
Poster: turdb0

Wow, the interior looks so clean. I should strip mine and do some cleaning too, but 2 other downed DSMs currently take precedence. Come up to San Fran and visit!

Thanks bro. Really took my time with cleaning all the trim pieces and panels and what not.
And maybe we can meet up half way some place. Don't trust my shitsubishi on those steep hills. lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Mr_Fielgood

Quote:

In response to
Poster: KiNgMaRtY

The interior came out great. Looks almost new.

Thank you. Trust me it looks better in person.

Mr_Fielgood

So I've been driving 1736 for awhile now and have been noticing really bad clutch slip issues. Did a lot of research as I was expecting to do my first clutch job. Time to dig in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Got the transmission out and this is what I found.

Got the transmission off and found the clutch disc with damn near zero friction material!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
Figured I'd need a new clutch so here it is!
ACT 2600 xtreme clutch kit & ACT streetlite flywheel. Also got new OEM clutch master reservoir and clutch slave cylinder.

Here's a better look at the clutch disc and flywheel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Got everything torqued to spec with loctite on flywheel & pressure plate bolts
TRANSMISSION TIME!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Got everything put back together and go out for a test drive down the street. Shifting is good, no slippage etc and everything checks out fine..until I pull up halfway up the driveway. CANT SHIFT INTO GEAR! When the car is running it won't let me shift in any gears. But with the car off it shifts in all gears just fine. Was afraid I had to pull the tranny out again.
Tried bleeding the clutch hydraulics again and didn't help. Next day I do more research and find possible simple solution. CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT.

About a half turn on the adjustment rod and it shifts no problem with car running or off.

So here is how 1736 is sitting now. With the new window deflectors, new clutch & brake components and no paint on the wheels.
Oh and 200-300 break in period sucks

Last edited by a moderator:

4Grim

Congrats on what looks like a pretty good GVR4 overall condition wise minus all the stuff you had to replace but it looks like either normal wear and tear and some shotty work from a shop or person.

Either or ...at least its not a rotting rust bucket and still can be fixed and driven again. Congratulations! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mr_Fielgood

Bought Stoptech front slotted rotors and pads from Charles (bobdole) Very satisfied. As long as I can stop the car safely I'm a happy camper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Didn't get much photos as I was in a hurry at work. Wanted to finish as fast as possible before my boss wanted me to do more work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts