The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need new tires, need suggestions

GVR-4

I need a new set of tires for my DAILY DRIVEN VR-4 and would like some suggestions. Primarily I'm looking for something that is relatively inexpensive and will last a while, but won't be totally horrible in the performance department.

Lemme know what you guys think.

deez

I am on my second set of BFG g-force Sport tires and they do well for me. Life on the tires is a bit short, but they hook up nice and don't squeal when pushed hard. When they do break loose, its nice and controlled. In wet conditions the tires did well also

Last edited:

Dan D

I'm happy with my sumitomo HTR-Z IIIs.

Also have had two sets of Dunlop SP5000s (asymmetrical) - 40k miles out of each set. Good all season performance, even snow.

gvr4ever

I had a set of sumitomo HTR-Z on my old Mustang. I thought they turned in to rolling plastic wheels when the weather got cold (no traction at all), but they did last a long time, so the tread wear rating is right on. I haven't had them, but if I had to try cheap(er) performance tires again, I'd check out Kumho Escta tires.

turbofonz

I'm happy with my Kumho Escta SPT's.

Work great in drag, autox and in the rain . Wouldn't recommend them in the snow though. Decent lifespan too.

Last edited:

496of2000

All season tires Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position rated #2 at tirerack. Michelin were #1. I would have bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires but they cost alittle bit more. If you google Bridgestone Potenza RE960s they get comments on at the limit they are spongy which I'll have to agree.

click

4thStroke

Ive been impressed with the Goodyear Eagle GTs.

My mom needed new tires for her Lexus LS430. She was ranting and raving about how much better her new tires were over her previous Dunlops that were supposed to be really good. Ironically, they too were the Goodyear Eagle GTs. Im not sure which Dunlops shes had.

G

Staff member
Does it snow there? You said dd, do you drive it in the snow?

Quoting GVR-4:
I need a new set of tires for my DAILY DRIVEN VR-4 and would like some suggestions. Primarily I'm looking for something that is relatively inexpensive and will last a while, but won't be totally horrible in the performance department.

GVR-4

Yeah, we get a little snow. Getting out of my own driveway is the toughest challenge I face in winter (it's not flat). I ended up getting the same thing I got last time: Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's. Out the door for $482.90, the same day I called to have them ordered. I'm happy.

Thanks for all the input.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I bought a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX for my dads daily beater (2006 ford crown vic) and they were horrible. Sucked in the rain, sucked in the snow and they were decent on dry pavement. I don't know if the rwd played a facotor but the bald shitty cooper tires that we replaced were better. We sold the car a year later so I can't comment on treadwear.

If you have some extra cash and have the storage place then two sets of rims/tires is the way to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

2of9

Quoting GVR-4:

Hmm. Here are your options. These tires are quite well and if you take care of them, they will last a while. I've had my Falken 512s for about 1 year (about 30,000). It's showing bad alignment, but if i did do an alignment, i could easily have another 5,000-6,000 on them.

- Falken 512
- Dunlop Dirreza DZ101
- Yokohama YK520
- BFGoodrich G-Force Sport

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned