The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need new shammy

fivestardsm

Quoting 3of1000:
I love the synthetic chamois

I was wondering when someone was gonna get the spelling correct.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

+1 on the synthetic. We always bought ours from the "Parts+Plus" store. They carried all the detailing products we used in the shop.

I never understood why it is spelled like that. Is it french origin or what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Quote:
He says the soapy runoff is toxic to salmon and other fish and that small metal particles that wash off cars, such as brake dust, is harmful, too.

This is so f***ing stupid. Where does your dish water go? Doesn't it all end up in the same place? And what happens when it rains and washes all the metal particles off your car? Are they going to ban mother nature from raining? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Junior392

The Absorber is the most absorbent, non stick to the paint shammy that you will ever use. It is also durable and if taken care of will last you a great deal of time. To make it simple it is just freakin awsome. I love this dam thing, money well spent +1 for the Absorber.

Terry Posten

I bought the Absorber at Autozone 27" x 18". $9.95

Is basiclly the exact same as I used before.

Worked great.

Autozone has the "extra large" SUV/truck one for $14.99 but I could not see spending 50% more for 2 more inches in one direction and 1 more inch in the other (sex tread fodder) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

89coltgt

I too have always used the absorbers, they work great and last a long time. Now I am wondering where mine is at... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

blacksheep

Terry - see this thread - he makes brief mention on why not to use shammy's. I would take his word when it comes to detailing cars... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

click

Tyler - You will really enjoy this thread. I know I did...

Last edited:

That guy is intense, knows his stuff for sure and that car came out fantastic. I've never cared too much about the chamois leaving swirls or stripping wax because, hell, if youre gonna go through all that trouble its not going to matter much anyway if you leave a few extra swirls before you cut the sh*t out of the paint.

I'm skeptical about his comment regarding the waffle towel soaking up more water than a chamois, but then again, I've never tried one of those towels. Maybe have to check one out.

Eveything else he did though is very precise and smart. I usually do interior first so that after I've finished the exterior I'm not opening and closing doors and leaving fingerprints all over a fresh car. That and vacuum cleaners exhale a lot of sh*t and you'll see all your hard work covered with dust if you do int last. Then I move on to wheels and engine but never let the stuff sit for too long. The double bucket it seems like hardly anyone does but its so important. His 50/50 mix of alcohol is smart as is his wet sand technique but I wouldn't recommend that for beginners on that kind of a car.

Nice write up for sure.

Heres an 08 IS350 I did a few months back.

Terry Posten

Quoting blacksheep:
Terry - see this thread - he makes brief mention on why not to use shammy's. I would take his word when it comes to detailing cars... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

click

Tyler - You will really enjoy this thread. I know I did...

Why do I get the feeling that the owner spent more on the "wash" than I paid to have my car painted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

turbowop

I guarantee my chamois isn't stripping wax off my car. It glides over the car so easily as it absorbs water. The guy does a great job no doubt, but I'd say he's a bit over the top. And I thought I was OCD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

turbowop

Meh. True skillz would be shown by detailing a ten year old Jetta and making it look good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

How hard is it to detail a car that's less than a year old? He's really just showing off polishing skills. The rest was just a normal carwash, IMO. At least I go the extra mile... put the car up on jackstands and clean the underneath. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

blacksheep

Well, that guy is seriously OCD and so are several others on that forum in S2Ki - If you look at all the vehicles they detail and before and after pics,its super impressive. Some are slightly older...

Some of them do it for a living, so its a pride thing. I only posted link about chamois comment coz I couldnt find other ones where people say to use waffle towels. All those detailers use it, so there has to be a good reason, perhaps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned