The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

the_underdog

Hello All!

It’s time to take a look at the results of our work that involved plenty of washing, vacuuming, scrubbing, buffing and painting. It’s been a memorable journey and the process of bringing this Galant back to it’s original glory has given me a great appreciation for it. Thank you for watching and for all of the support and much needed motivation! The journey has just begun really, as there’s still plenty of work to do. But it sure is fun driving and owning this car!

Galant VR-4 Interior & Exterior Detail: Results! - YouTube

fuel

really enjoyed the last video. It looks like your plans are similar to mine so would be interesting to see the route you go down and what results you get! You could probably get away with fitting improved OEM parts without anyone noticing like JDM Evolution intercooler set up, injectors, EvoIII manifold, 20G compressor wheel/machined cover/8cm ex housing, 4-bolt rear with vLSD (if you wanted to keep 4WS) etc.

turbohf

ok. you got me. im sitting here waiting for the next video.

im very interested to see how far this 'sleeper' idea goes. i feel there is a lot hiding under my hood, but i think your going to take it further (and tamer)... cant wait to see...

TSimage

Tom is too nice.. We need some aggression shown. Do a call out in one of your videos. :p

fuel

^^ please tell me you are kidding!

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
Good job! Now come do mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Haha! I think I'm good for a clean up project like this about once every 7-10 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the_underdog

Quoting fuel:
really enjoyed the last video. It looks like your plans are similar to mine so would be interesting to see the route you go down and what results you get! You could probably get away with fitting improved OEM parts without anyone noticing like JDM Evolution intercooler set up, injectors, EvoIII manifold, 20G compressor wheel/machined cover/8cm ex housing, 4-bolt rear with vLSD (if you wanted to keep 4WS) etc.

Thank you and I'm glad you enjoyed it! What you describe is exactly what I would like to do. No cutting or other craziness, just factory style bolt-on parts that could easily be returned to stock at anytime. I know I'll be leaving power on the table by doing this, but I have modest goals and will be happy with even just a little more oomph. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the_underdog

Quoting TSimage:
Tom is too nice.. We need some aggression shown. Do a call out in one of your videos. :p

Haha! Well I used to love WWF wrestling when I was a kid- maybe I could do something along those lines? It may still be this way, but back then it was like 45 minutes of a wrestler calling someone out and maybe 15 minutes of wrestling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

piper194-e1313932878332.jpg

the_underdog

Here's some pictures that I meant to include in the video post. I've got a bunch more on my website, including bigger, wallpaper size ones here.

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

the_underdog

Quoting turbohf:
ok. you got me. im sitting here waiting for the next video. im very interested to see how far this 'sleeper' idea goes. i feel there is a lot hiding under my hood, but i think your going to take it further (and tamer)... cant wait to see...

Thanks Dustin! I'm curious too- stay tuned!

TSimage

I did what I believe you are about to attempt with yours with the 100% stock appearance route.

I have in my mind the exact mod list, we shall see how similar we are.

coyotes

Hey Tom,

Question for you. I typically do a clay bar on a new detail job, and then a meguiar's 3 stage. I'm not a professional detailer and this gives me a good enough detail to make me happy. I have been looking into the Meguar's ultimate compound before I saw your video using it, and i am pretty impressed with the results. My question for you is, did you just go straight to the carnuaba wax after your ultimate compound, or was there some other waxes in there? Should I throw out the typical 3 stage and just go clay bar --> ultimate compound --> carnauba? Maybe clay bar then 3 stage with the ultimate compound as step 2? My paint is not in that bad of shape I don't think, but damn the meguiar's ultimate compound really makes a huge difference in just one step it seems.

Last edited:

the_underdog

Quoting TSimage:
I did what I believe you are about to attempt with yours with the 100% stock appearance route.

I have in my mind the exact mod list, we shall see how similar we are.

That's cool! If you have a build thread or pics, I'd love to check 'em out. I just want to go back to a really simple, reliable and fun setup. I also think it will suit the character of the car and will be tons of fun on a small budget. Good luck with yours and enjoy it!

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
Hey Tom, Question for you. I typically do a clay bar on a new detail job, and then a meguiar's 3 stage. I'm not a professional detailer and this gives me a good enough detail to make me happy. I have been looking into the Meguar's ultimate compound before I saw your video using it, and i am pretty impressed with the results. My question for you is, did you just go straight to the carnuaba wax after your ultimate compound, or was there some other waxes in there? Should I throw out the typical 3 stage and just go clay bar --> ultimate compound --> carnauba? Maybe clay bar then 3 stage with the ultimate compound as step 2? My paint is not in that bad of shape I don't think, but damn the meguiar's ultimate compound really makes a huge difference in just one step it seems.

What's up man!? I am like you in that I don't go overboard with paint detailing, I just like enough shine to make me happy. In the past I usually did something very similar to what you describe (3 stage) but I'm so darn glad I found out about the Meguiar's ultimate compound. It saved me tons of time and the results were amazing for the amount of time I put into it. I can't recommend it enough. All I did with mine was clay bar-->ultimate ultimate compound-->Meguair's gold class carnauba. I still can't believe how well it turned out. Good luck with yours and let me know how it goes!

SSGdave

Quoting the_underdog:
I love this kind of stuff, it makes me happy. This is going in my Mitsubishi shrine down in the old basement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

OMG I would love to have one of those.
and your car is amazing!!!

Last edited:

GSX_TC

God that bay is soo clean!

the_underdog

Quoting SSGdave:
OMG I would love to have one of those.
and your car is amazing!!!

Thanks Dave! I've noticed that the brochures pop up on Ebay from time to time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned