The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

mph needle bouncing/ stalling culprit(solved)

vtecds1

On my previous post,I stated that my car was having some bouncing of my mph needle. I decided to pull my sensor off to see if it`s gone bad. My buddy that pulled my tranny off told me that the 2 prongs where the needle slides in between the housing got bent. Would this be the cause of my problem? The sensor seems to be a little on the rusty side, so I don't know if that's contributing to the problem also. Are these things sensitive/delicate that it can damage relatively easy. If so, anyone know whats the part number or if the dsm ones are interchangeable?

Last edited:

381gvr4

The piece you are holding is acually the speedo gear setup NOT rpm. I've not expierenced this problem on a 4g63 yet, but on Honda's the rpm signal comes from the distributor and that causes needle hop. In this case, maybe the CAS??? Some input guys???

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting vtecds1:
On my previous post,I stated that my car was having some bouncing of my mph needle.

He's having a speedo problem, not a tach one. I wouldn't be surprised if those to tabs being bent inside the speedo gear unit are allowing the cable to "skip". You could squeeze them back together and hopefully they won't break. Even if they do, as you probably know, its really easy to replace that.

John

381gvr4

WOW- see what happens when I'm on at 6am. DUHHH.....................

vtecds1

381gvr4-It`s all good... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John-I also was told to bend it back but like you said, It looks like it`s pretty fragile. About replacing them...you have any more info about it? Part # or if it`s the same as the DSM speedos?

Thanks fellas!!!

atc250r

Staff member
The sender is the same as a DSM but there is one tooth difference in the number of teeth on the gear because 1G DSM's have a slightly taller tire on them. I actually run a DSM gear in my GVR4 to help keep the speedo accurate with taller tires I have on the car.

John

vtecds1

So just to clarify things...They are interchangeable. The only difference is the gear on the senders.There`s no fitment issues if I was to use a sender from a DSM tranny to a VR4 tranny and vice versa..

atc250r

Staff member
Yes. They interchange.

vtecds1

Thank you sir... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You can even push out the roll pin and change the gear to the original on a new housing if you want.

I would lubricate the cable before I did anything else. Had a car doing that years ago and lubricating the cable fixed it.

Could also be the unit in the gauge cluster that converts the cable speed to the output.

vtecds1

By original...do you mean that the one I have is not the one for the Galant? How would I go about lubricating the cable?

vtecds1

Back from the dead...I recently was having some stalling issues and tried everything I could from the books to try and solve it. I came across this old thread and remembered that a bouncing speedo can cause the car to stall. So I took everything apart and straightened out where the end of the cable speedo goes as much as I can. So far so good!!! It's been 2 days and hasn't stalled on me once, even at high decel.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned