The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MORE PROBLEMS

CarRacer

I hope by "other stuff happening" you are refering to these shade tree mechanics you sent your car to. As I understand the situation every problem you've had has been related to them. The tranny and the engine. That hardly seems like a valid reason to blame the car.

If you feel that your car is "unlucky", I find it hard to argue with you. I just find it hard to blame the car itself, as many people have few issues with their cars. Anyways you should probably sell the car. If you think you can have a "street fighter" with minimal downtime and cost without working on it yourself, you have the wrong expectations.

I feel your pain! Similar thing happened to me right after buying the 628. Idiotic mechanic screwed up the t-belt job and the timing skipped while I was driving. I ended up with couple of bent valves and etc.
I almost gave up on the car after since it was going to cost quite a lot to have the head rebuilt, but I gave it another chance and took the car to a reputable mechanic in the area, Ditos Motors and had the head rebuilt along with the t-belt job and etc. It put a fat hole in my wallet, but the good news is that the car has been running like a champ ever since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hertz

Staff member
You're taking what could easily be a 5k car and selling it for 3500...

I'm not going to tell you what to do with your money but it would be cooler if you sold it running and for it's true worth or just part it out and let someone build it right. We get this vicious circle of guys very much like you who buy these, dive into modding, get frustrated or do it wrong and the give up, selling for less and less. Often the entire community sees it develop (thanks to posts on the site with lots of problems and mistakes documented) and then nobody who knows anything will touch the car... Save for some other newbie who will just repeat the process.

Ryan and REsuzuki, I agree with you both 10000% I did going into this knowing I would have down time and pay $$$ for ths stuff I want done. I am frustrated with these shady mechanics an because of them I'm out of $$$. The last guy was a friend of a friends and was a so called Mitsu guy,yea right far from it a guess. I know I'm taking a huge it if a sell it not running and running is worth at least 1k more. Where I live there are not too many DSM guys and the places that are are full and can't touch my car for weeks. Thing is a need a DD a few days down is fine I expect that but months is a little nuts. I do not in anyway blame the car just the idiots that have touched it..

iLLeffeKt vr-4

It sucks that you're having bad luck but if you ever get another dsm/gvr4 do the maintenace first and mod it later. Too many guys out there buy cars that haven't been maintained, throw several mods at them then they complain stuff breaks or doesn't run right.

Lonewolf64

Next time, don't try to cheap out by taking it to "that guy that your friend knows who is totally a mitsu dude". It sounds like you made a stupid choice, and are now paying for it. This is not the fault of the car in any way.

Quoting iLLeffeKt vr-4:
It sucks that you're having bad luck but if you ever get another dsm/gvr4 do the maintenace first and mod it later. Too many guys out there buy cars that haven't been maintained, throw several mods at them then they complain stuff breaks or doesn't run right.

I agree with you 100%. An I did the maintenacne minus t belt.. I changed all the fluids replaced the rear wheel bearings, Diff fluid, Radiator and fluid, New tranny and t case with redline and shock proof fluid. Full tune up fuel filter and all.. The only thing I waited on was the t belt till I was done with the mods. An as far as the guy I went to.. I was a friend of a guy that I used to work on my EVO 8 he did all the work nad that cat went 11.89 at 118mph so I'm sure he knows whats up. But his friend stinks..

1990ggsxnj

Guys, stop throwing rocks. Nobody is obligated to keep a car that they buy, regardless of how this board feels. Though the car with everything done would only be an engine shy of Finished, if he feels he wants something more reliable, that's his choice to make. Not to say that it was the cars fault. We're human and allowed to change our minds.

Last edited:

Yea the shop called me last night and said the car ran fine??? They said the battery was junk and they did something to the MAF?? I asked if they checked the timing and they sadi not yet?? Why would you run the car with checking that first, IF you just did the t belt and the issues I had. Weird..Anyway they are supposed to be calling me later today and letting me know after they check the timing.

Lonewolf64

Get the lube ready, because you are about to be raped by your shade-tree mechanic.

Maybe they are Subie mechanics and are used to hearing the "drowning retard" sound. To them it sounds good.

Quoting Lonewolf64:
Get the lube ready, because you are about to be raped by your shade-tree mechanic.

Yea I know thats why I have not picked it up yet.They said they would call me when it was ready I still nothing.What asre my options if they say its fixed can I put a hold on the check I wrote??

Lonewolf64

Well first of all, you should have gotten your little verbal agreement for a new motor in writing, you should have a collection of all receipts of all work they have already done to it, and pictures and preferably video of what it was doing when you got it back the first time.

If you don't have this, you are probably screwed, but gather up what you do have and GET A LAWYER!!

Oh, and if you haven't already, immediately put a stop on the money you've paid them until this is all over.

Last edited:

Ok I did put I stop payment on the check, Did that today. So thas taken care of. But the paper work is in the CAR glove box. A video? The only way I would have done that is if I knew I was going to sue them.. :/

Lonewolf64

If I sent my car to a shop and it came out of that shop in that state, I would sure as hell video tape it with whatever I had, lawsuit or not.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Does the paperwork state anything about a replacement motor since they fucked this one up? If not, you need to immediately get it in writing and put pressure on the shop for a new motor for the already discussed reasons. Don't forgot you can also mention a call to the BBB if they come out and say there is no way they are going to replace the motor. Make enough bad press for a shop and people will not come to them for service. In these situations you have to be fully aware that the goal of the shop is NOT to help you, but to get off as cheaply as possible. Guess what, you dictate the game, not them. You've got to make sure you get your fair end of the deal, which means a new motor if their work fucked up your motor.

I would get in writing that if the timing belt did indeed jump time, that they should pay for:
1) Motor to be rebuilt to stock specifications with new parts at machine shop of your choice
2) For them to pay for a rental car while your car is being repaired

Do not sign anything you don't understand. Do not pay them anything until this all works out.

Last edited:

I think you may have blown this way out of proportion. First, if they were unsure of their ability to do the job, they should have told you so in the beginning. Second, if the motor is actually damaged, they will work with you - they do not need the bad publicity. Third, like I have said in the past, I was a mechanic that had a problem with a 4G63 motor. We all make mistakes and no one can say otherwise. Sit back, relax and let them tell you what happened instead of jumping to all sorts of conclusions. If you want to put a stop-payment on the check, that is only going to make things a lot worse because now they don't want to help you at all irregardless, of who is or what is at fault. Also when you took in the car, did you specify what needed to be replaced ie- hydraulic tentioner? If you did not and thats what failed then guess what? A part broke. Unless you have a magic ball that tells you what will break in the near future, none of us know for sure.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned