The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

May 18th VR4 meet&greet COLORADO

nemovr4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

IF the weather man is correct its going to be perfect!!

Haven't driven that far since I got her running again...hopefully everything works out!

Also I'm going to bring my box of misc. parts...nothing special but it couldn't hurt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

nemovr4

Just registered on CRN and looks like it is going to be a good time!

Galantvr4559

Well i wont be able to make it. My car is fucked. I was driving yesterday and herd a bad sound. Pulled into mcdonalds to check it out. And found that my crank bolt that holds timing gear and lower crank pulley backed out and starting walking the crank gear off. Didnt completely come off but timing jumped. So tonight "thursday" we tried to retime it to see if valves got bent but bolt wouldnt go in so we were tapping the hole and the god dam tap broke off in the crank. So i am gonna try a special tap removing tool to remove broken tap and try again. So if all goes well i might be able to make it but no promises. Im so bummed. I just built the motor to prevent sh*t like this from happening but murphy's always prevails.

Galantvr4559

Worse case cenerio i have to pull the motor and replace the crank or havr a machine shop dri and tap the hole for a bigger bolt. Any suggestions??

toybreaker

iconoclast
Damn, that is a major bitch!

What brand/quality level tap are we talking about?

Quality taps are harder then the hinges of hell, so you aren,t going to be able to drill it, not even a little

... don't even try, it'll only make things worse ...

Cheap taps can be fractured in place, so knowing what you're working with will help folks give you the best advice.

At any rate, the best thing you could do is take a step back and look at the big picture.

Were you able to re-time the t-belt?

Might be a good idea to see if anything in the valvetrain got hurt before procceeding.

... it would suck to get the crank bolt sorted out only to find there's sh*t bent up top.

You don;t have to have the bolt in the crank to do this task.

When an engine has lost time, I like to get the crank out of the way before spinning the cams.

Set the crank up so it's at 90* to tdc

Spin the cams, one at a time to the dowels up position,

Now, sneak the crank up to tdc, and set up the timing.

You can't spin the engine on the starter, (belt might walk off), and with no crank bolt it will be hard to move things

... but you can turn the engine over by installling the alternator belt snugly and then use a socket on the hex bolt of the alternator pulley to spin the whole shitaree over.

Once you get that task handled, you can do a leak down test on each cylinder in turn (just rotate everything using the alty nut)

If the motor survived with no bent valves, then you can worry about yoking the broken tap out with the crank in situ.

They make a special tool that goes down between the flutes and it will be your best bet.

I repeat; DO NOT TRY AND DRILL THE TAP OUT

With a diamond burr and a steady hand, there is another way, but it's a hell of a lot of work

Knowing if it's hurt up top will help you decide how to approach this.

... if she's gotta come apart, you can have the broken tapp e.d.m 'd out "easy peasy" at Colorado crank or one of the other 'grinders down in town.

5OF2k

Quoting pyro719:
I'll be there about 11am

Right awn Nick, I'll shoot you a text later on, maybe we can link up and roll up at the same time. 2 SW GVR4 in one spot = TROUBLE lol

I have a couple other friends that have GVR4s that arent on the boards here, Im goign to run it by them as well and see if they can make it for a bit. We'll see!

-Jake

nemovr4

I should be there around 11. Going to try and leave Denver around 9:30.

Galantvr4559

Toybreaker thanks alot for the advice. My buddy has that special tool that slips down the flutes of the tap. Gonna try saturday "tomorrow". I know to not drill taps. My dad told me that back in the day. Toybreaker give me a call sometime to shoot the sh*t. Finger crossed nothing is hurt. Im not sure if timing skipped everything disnt come apart when engine was running. Engine ran i shut it off before hurting anything but i wi find out tomorrow and let u all know how it turns out. Get some good pics tomorrow guy wish i could be there

5OF2k

Well, plans have fallen through on me for the meet. Last night i was checking into my boost problem because i got called out(dont street race, kids), and got it fixed. Found my car and AFR/IDC are very happy at 20psi on the T67.

BUT, in all of the excitement my downpipe came loose. I had to leave after the nights events to take my lady and her son to a movie as promised so i left the car at a buddies house while he threw it back together for me, but he's still sleeping and has my keys and car at his house, plus all of the wedding mumbo-jumbo means i wont be making the meet after all.

Really wosh circumstances would've worked out dofferently, but hey. Whatya gonna do??

Take a sh*t ton of pics, and be safe out there!!

-Jake

Blackwidow

Well it was fun. Only ended up with 4 GVR4, but it was great to meet everyone and look forward to the next. I will posy some pics tonight.

-B.

3O3EL0VR4

Thank you again blackwidow for throwing this together. It was great to meet those of you who made it. Here are the photos that I took with my phone... Enjoy

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts