The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mandrel Bends Couplers

Nartanian

I'm looking to fab up a IC kit, since I don't quite have enough to just buy a kit. Now I need suggestions on couplers. I was looking at these but don't know the quality of them. Any input on these couplers would be much appreciated. click

Muskrat

Looks good to me. 4-ply silicone coupler's are pretty standard. Make sure you use t-bolt clamps, worm gear wont hold as well. If you're going to join all your bends together with coupler's (and no bead rolled) you'll want all the clamping force you can get, especially if you plan to upping the boost pressure.

curtis

Go find a Napa auto parts and ask to go look in there radiator hoses. Just Napa, auto zone and advance don't carry any that large. When there start looking for 2.5 inch stuff. Now for the hatters... Yea its radiator hose but for trucks that see 50+ psi of coolant pressure and 250+ temps. Add in 40% for engineering oh crap level increase and there way more than you'll ever need plus they look stock under the hood.

They have one hose that has like 2 45's and 3 90's for like 18 dollars plus a few more cheaper with just two bends. I ran the same hoses on mine for years and years with aluminized exhaust pipe and it saw 21+ daily and never blew off. You can cut them with a razor then side in a 1 inch long piece of pipe and them slice all the way around with a new razor for a perfect looking factory cut. Cheap enough.

As for t bolt clamps there a must on any of them without a bead rolled edge or a series of small spot welds, please don't go bending the edge of the pipes with vice grips like I've seen done. I would say why but Officer Barnes doesn't like us to talk about fluid dynamics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

Barnes

Lets just say that it's a bad idea and leave it at that. :p

But I agree with Curtis on checking out the NAPA stuff. My friend used that on his car. Those things are tough. They also stick to your IC pipes like glue. I swear you don't even need beading. It was not uncommon for us to have to run a screw driver under the coupler before we could take it off the pipe.

Nartanian

Quoting curtis:
As for t bolt clamps there a must on any of them without a bead rolled edge or a series of small spot welds, please don't go bending the edge of the pipes with vice grips like I've seen done. I would say why but Officer Barnes doesn't like us to talk about fluid dynamics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I think it's a bit too late for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

T bolt clamps are nice, I run them, But I have used worm clamps successfully up to 20psi with no pop offs.

Nartanian

Yea I ended up getting T bolt clamps since I place on going over 20psi. I wanna see what the 14b can do on e85.

Scott Y

Agreed on the NAPA hoses. I spray Simple Green on the IC pipes before I install the hose/coupler and it installs easy. It is a bear to remove, I have to lift the hose lip up and spray more Simple Green underneath in order to have a hope of removing them. I run 25+ lbs and I've not ever popped a hose or experienced a boost leak with that setup. I use t-clamps, but only because I'm paranoid. Worm clamps would likely be fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned