The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Making a new, more sturdy hood latch support

There's a problem when trying to mount up a nice big front mount intercooler, its that damn factory hood latch support! When I had my old fmic I just completely took the old support out, causing me to have problems closing the hood etc.

I recently got a Spearco 2-216 which is basically the maximum width IC you can fit (33" wide w/ tanks) and its 3.75" deep, I wanted to be able to make my hood close nice and tight, and still be able to mount up the big fmic. So I made a support out of steel.

I wanted to make sure it was real sturdy so I got some steel that is a hair bit bigger than 3/16" (7/32 if you want to get real tech /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) x 1.25". You can still use the normal 3/16 x 1.5" steel.

Looking directly from the side the crossmember and the hood latch dont quite line up, so I cut the steel to length and bent it using my vice. I then marked and drilled the holes and bolted it on. At first the latch was actually too high, so I drilled a lower hole and the results amazed me. The hood latches very tight (virtually no play) and just feels great w/ the rubber stops at the proper height.

The next step was to hold up the fmic and drill a hole to mount its support to the actual hood latch support.

Pictures speak better than words /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

img.php
img.php

img.php

This actually gave me alot more room to work with the new intercooler and is a way more sturdy way for me to properly shut my hood.

-Terren

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts