The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Magnaflow 12288 - Will it Fit?

Dan D

I'm re-doing my exhaust with the intent of going quiet as possible on a 3". That being said, I want to cram as much muffler in as I can. I'm liking the magnaflow below and based on my measurments, it will fit, but barely. I'll need a pretty tight bend right off the muffler to get the angle correct past the differential/driveshaft.

Has anyone else stuffed an 18" long oval under there car? Any unforseen problems you ran into?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=12288

FWIW, the exhaust will also include a cat, a 24" perf core glasspack & a 12" perf core glasspack in place of the straight tubing sections. Everything else will be mandrel bends.

gtluke

um, that one has 2 2.5" outlets? And not the kind that look right.
I have an 18" muffler under mine, 3" in and 3" out, with a JDM rear bumper (shorter)

JSchleim18

Quoting Dan D:
I'm re-doing my exhaust with the intent of going quiet as possible on a 3". That being said, I want to cram as much muffler in as I can. I'm liking the magnaflow below and based on my measurments, it will fit, but barely. I'll need a pretty tight bend right off the muffler to get the angle correct past the differential/driveshaft.

Has anyone else stuffed an 18" long oval under there car? Any unforseen problems you ran into?

FWIW, the exhaust will also include a cat, a 24" perf core glasspack & a 12" perf core glasspack in place of the straight tubing sections. Everything else will be mandrel bends.

I have a 12198 Magnaflow for sale.

Diego

Quoting Dan D:

You want to be quiet, all while using 3 feet of glass packs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Dan D

Luke, good to know an 18" case fits. What's your concern on the dual 2.5? Too big, too small, wrong spacing? I plan to chop down the outlets and weld on some tips with a rolled edge for a more finished look.

And Diego, is your snide remark implying that a piece of straight tubing will have more sound dampening ability than a perforated tube surrounded by sound deadening material? Hmm. Resonator manufacturers around the world will be devastated.

Diego

Wasn't trying to be rude, at all. No intentions of being rude was ment.

I was just implying that glass packs "cherry bombs" are not the best answer to being quiet.

We just removed all the cherry bombs from under the Rx7 and its a lot more quiet with out them.

gramkrakr89

The homebrew 3" full system that's on my galant has a decent sized oval magnaflow (18" i think) on the very tail end, with dual tips exiting just under the rear bumper, no resonators. I used to get comments from the local kids all the time stating that it isn't loud enough... I took it as a compliment

It has a nice low tame grumble at idle and off boost... of course once boost builds, it is still obnoxious.

EDIT: I'd provide pics, but the car is currently 4 hours away - i'll dig to see if I can find any

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned