The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Liquid to air Intercooler Tank Building (pictures)`

cheekychimp

BarnesMobile,
I understand where you are coming from, I too would really like to know which system is better for a street car. But the problem here is that in order to get definitive results you would need two identical cars, one with an air-to-air and one with a water-to-air intercooler and run them over varying but identical loads to ascertain which worked best in different circumstances.

When does the water-to-air stop being efficient? Well in layman's terms basically as soon as it's temperature rises to the point where it can no longer reduce the temperature of the charge air as well as the ambient air can.

The problem is that anticipating when this will happen is almost impossible as it depends on so many other factors. How hot your charge air is, how efficient your water-to-air unit is (and therefore how quickly it absorbs heat), how big your auxiliary radiator is.

Think of it this way, a pan on a hob full of water that is being continuously pumped out of the pan and through another shallow container over which air is being blown with an electric fan, before returning to the original pan.

How long will it take for the water to boil? That depends on the setting of the hob (how much heat your engine is producing), the surface area of water exposed to cooling air in the shallow container (the size of your auxiliary rad) the speed of flow and size of the fan (combination of frontal area of your auxiliary rad and vehicle speed) ... not to mention how cold the water was to start with !!!

It's tough for anyone even with a water-to-air system to be able to say much more than it works, compared to a similar air-to-air.

Paul.

Last edited:

Got a little farther. Just a few more pieces and i'll be done. More bungs are on order and I need to pick a lid and get it done. The inside corner weld didn't turn out the prettiest but i was happy considering it was my first inside corner ever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bung.jpg

bungclose.jpg

cornerwelded.jpg

tankside.jpg

cheekychimp

Looking REALLY good Chris. It's going to be hard competing with you on the ULTIMATE rebuild this year. I think I'm going to have to out do you on interior design because I obviously ain't going to compete on HP ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How much chassis work have you done on your car Chris? You are going to have to harness a lot of power here.

Paul.

Quote:
How much chassis work have you done on your car Chris? You are going to have to harness a lot of power here.
Paul.

Not nearly enough is finished. I'm focusing on getting the car running as soon as I can so I can drive it to work everyday (lol) and finish a lot of welding after work like I have been with these side projects.

number3

Quote:
Looking REALLY good Chris. It's going to be hard competing with you on the ULTIMATE rebuild this year. I think I'm going to have to out do you on interior design because I obviously ain't going to compete on HP ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul.

Bring it on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Interior? Only enough to meet class rules. I'll have to compete on horsepower and times alone, otherwise there are much nicer cars than mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14u2nV

Just out of curiosity: Would something like antifreeze be better than water??? The reason I'm thinking this, is because it won't freeze as easily. You could put a couple jugs of it in the freezer for a day or two, then pull them out, dump them in and go. It would be colder than Ice, and you wouldn't have to wait for the ice to melt or worry about it plugging lines. Just curious?

Quote:
Just out of curiosity: Would something like antifreeze be better than water??? The reason I'm thinking this, is because it won't freeze as easily. You could put a couple jugs of it in the freezer for a day or two, then pull them out, dump them in and go. It would be colder than Ice, and you wouldn't have to wait for the ice to melt or worry about it plugging lines. Just curious?

Kenneth,

You want the phase change of ice to absorb heat, not the temperature. Temperature of the ice is almost irrelevant compared to the heat it absorbs changing from a solid to liquid.

One consideration...how much weight is that goign to add the the front passenger side of the car?

About 25 pounds. I want weight over the front end as much as possible to help the fronts hook. I'll corner weight the car after I get all this finished.

Here's a couple more shots. Yes I'm slow but I have about 10 projects going at once. Don't we all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The big hole was cut with our plasma cutter.

Now just 2 more bungs to be installed that showed up yesterday and the final powder coat and it will be finished!

weldedtankside.jpg

weldedtanktop.jpg

weldedtankangle.jpg

steve

That is truly awesome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Quote:
I love that dog ... it gets everywhere !!!!

Are you going to buy on of those stateside and have it shipped to you too?

Quote:

Turbo has to check on his intercooler tank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:

That dog is awesome, its so playful, and its nice to be around, well when hes not trying to steal my damn dr. p pepper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Looks good chris.

I have a friend that has a dog that will steal your beer. She (the dog) gets LIT every time he has a party.

Nice looking tank, man. I'm using your ideas in case I ever have to make my own.

twkd

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned