The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lifting the head off.

Rausch

Quoting gvr4ever:
No I haven't, but I cranked the engine over and found coolant and oil in cyl 1. The others were fine.

Can you post decent pics of the mating surfaces, and the gasket as well?

There should be some evidence of breach on the head or block surfaces if it was bypassing coolant and/or oil past the gasket..

gvr4ever

Quoting turbowop:
Saying that they didn't build these cars to work on isn't exactly a technical fact either. It's just your opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Sorry if you had trouble, but I think he was just razzing you. Honestly, if you think these cars are hard to work on, you must not have much experience working on other cars that are much more difficult.

I don't generally do engine work. It's usually not needed in a car that isn't raced or abused. I just happened to have gotten a defective thermostat that opened late. I have done work on a few others cars, but again, not engine work. Sounds like some of you guys are full time mechanics. Not everyone is. It isn't all easy for everyone. Just because it is easy for you doesn't mean you gotta make fun of me. You might not think you are, but you are simply just talking down to me, and I really don't appreciate it. This is the tech forum, if you don't have anything useful to add, please to add to this post. Everyone can do something that is easy for them and difficult for others. Don't gotta go rubbing their face in it.

Why is it so difficult to keep the technical part of this forum to technical discussion only? The anything goes is fully open to anything with virtually zero rules.

turbowop

You said these cars weren't meant to work on, yet you don't generally do engine work? So why make a comment based on experience you don't have?

Our point was that these car are easy to work on compared to others, not to "talk down to you". We're not all full time mechanics, but we've worked on enough cars to know these ones aren't that complicated. Nobody made any troll posts or any comments that were bad enough to warrant such butthurtness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

prove_it

I am a fully time tech whose worked on all major brands. Next to Honda these are great and the easiest to work on. Don't take offense to the comments posted. When I first did a head I got hung up on that d**n bracket too. That's why I knew that's where you were stuck. If you find things tricky, then please write up posts and we will help. Be warned though, you get a little burnt, everyone on here does in every section. You don't have much experience and that's fine. Everyone at one time didn't know crap. You can handle this project no problem. Be sure that when you put the t-belt on you follow VFAQ's write carefully. Setting the tensioner properly can be tricky.

By the way, leave that bracket off... You'll be ok without it.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting Rausch:
Quoting gvr4ever:
No I haven't, but I cranked the engine over and found coolant and oil in cyl 1. The others were fine.

Can you post decent pics of the mating surfaces, and the gasket as well?

There should be some evidence of breach on the head or block surfaces if it was bypassing coolant and/or oil past the gasket..

Now BOT.

gvr4ever

Quoting prove_it:
I am a fully time tech whose worked on all major brands. Next to Honda these are great and the easiest to work on. Don't take offense to the comments posted. When I first did a head I got hung up on that d**n bracket too. That's why I knew that's where you were stuck. If you find things tricky, then please write up posts and we will help. Be warned though, you get a little burnt, everyone on here does in every section. You don't have much experience and that's fine. Everyone at one time didn't know crap. You can handle this project no problem. Be sure that when you put the t-belt on you follow VFAQ's write carefully. Setting the tensioner properly can be tricky.

By the way, leave that bracket off... You'll be ok without it.

Thanks, I've done the t-belt plenty of times. I've had this car since 1998. I'm not a newb, but I find a few things to be a major PITA. 90+ of the car is easy to work on. A few things like the water pump pully bolts, seem backwards and poorly engineered to me. Part of the problem could be I have shorter arms. I've pulled things in my back and shoulders reaching for some of the odd things. I still have a injury from about 6 months ago that still hurts when I lift weights.

prove_it

Been there, my care truly has blood, sweat, and tears in it. Hopefully you get the leak concern found. I've always hated the pulley bolts too. In 1988 though it was the best solution to the design. Many car makes still use the same design too. PITA but do it a few times and it gets easier. good luck on getting her back on the road soon.

turbowop

The water pump pulley bolts do suck. What sucks even more? Installing those bolts on a water pump that doesn't have the little dowel pin to line it all up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

gvr4ever

I've never seen the dowel pin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif A small zip tie holding it together till one bolt gets started helps. A little.

prove_it

Also having a backwards hand would help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned