The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Let's talk engine paint.

coyotes

Looking to hear some opinions. I won't have time or money to send anything off for powder or ceramic coating, just want to use something I can get locally. I want to paint:

-Water pipe
-heat shields
-possibly o2 housing, turbo exhaust housing, exhaust manifold

Those last 3 are a big IF, I just don't know what paint would handle those sorts of temperatures. Probably nothing, but let's hear it. I'm looking to do this on the cheap, if there are no decent options I will just throw it all on the car as is. There is nothing wrong with the components, just want to touch things up.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

I just use the black BBQ paint. Seems to hold up better then even the VHT high heat

coyotes

I will just go with that, it's cheap. I'll save the turbo and exhaust parts to be properly coated at another time.

Last edited:

manikbastrd

Besides ceramics and maybe some powder coatings, there is no paint that I know of that will keep an O2 housing from crackling off all of its paint...

89Mirageman

I have used the cast manifold paint from Eastwood that's made for stuff like this with great results. Only thing I recommend is to toss them in the blast cabinet first to get all of the rust off. You can see it behind the heat shield in these pics.

Last edited:

SSGdave

Quoting manikbastrd:
Besides ceramics and maybe some powder coatings, there is no paint that I know of that will keep an O2 housing from crackling off all of its paint...

I used the Black High Temp VHT ceramic stuff (the highest rating one) on 1855/2000's exhaust manifold/turbine housing/and 02 housing. Its still there, no flaking off, no cracking. The only differance 22k miles later is that the color is much lighter.
If you prep the piece well, and let everything cure properly, it turns out good.

I also used this on my old 1G Talon (now sold) in silver, on the exhaust manifold. Years later, its still there, just lighter in color.

The downside is that stuff is not cheap. Buuuuuut, you get what you pay for in th end.

GSTwithPSI

If you want to maximize longevity, then powder coating and ceramic coatings are the only way to go. Anything you can spray out of a can will eventually wear off.

I've had good luck with the VHT High Temp "Flame Proof" coatings for exhaust parts. You need to bake it, or run it for a few heat cycles on the car after application in order for it to really work though. If you do that, it will last a long time. All of the VHT stuff is pretty good IMO. They also have an epoxy paint that I like to use. It works great for engine covers and such, or any parts that don't get really hot. It would work fine on the water pipe.

mitsuturbo

Quoting coyotes:
Looking to hear some opinions. I won't have time or money to send anything off for powder or ceramic coating, just want to use something I can get locally. I want to paint:

-Water pipe
-heat shields
-possibly o2 housing, turbo exhaust housing, exhaust manifold

Those last 3 are a big IF, I just don't know what paint would handle those sorts of temperatures. Probably nothing, but let's hear it. I'm looking to do this on the cheap, if there are no decent options I will just throw it all on the car as is. There is nothing wrong with the components, just want to touch things up.

Yeah, those last 3 aren't going to hold up to any kind of heat with something from an off the shelf aerosol can. I've tried a number of things and witnessed others try even more. Eventually it all bakes off. You may recall seeing my exhaust manifold over in West Seattle. Even the ceramic coating that Bretthauer and I got done at Performance coatings isn't holding up all that well. However, others have had PC do some other coatings for them and it's holding up just fine. It's suspected that this particular coating has some issue. Granted, that topmounted talon with the titanium finish self admittedly hasn't seen any serious heat yet, but others have apparently had good results from the coatings OTHER than the one I got and is on that CSM header you saw. This coming winter i may take it in and have them do a different coating on mine, since it's got a "warranty". I'm also toying with the idea of just sending the hot parts off to Swain Tech. Then again, i've seen complaints from the GT-R guys that even the SwainTech coating has burned off in some cases.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting SSGdave:
Quoting manikbastrd:

I used the Black High Temp VHT ceramic stuff (the highest rating one) on 1855/2000's exhaust manifold/turbine housing/and 02 housing. Its still there, no flaking off, no cracking. The only differance 22k miles later is that the color is much lighter.
If you prep the piece well, and let everything cure properly, it turns out good.

I also used this on my old 1G Talon (now sold) in silver, on the exhaust manifold. Years later, its still there, just lighter in color.

The downside is that stuff is not cheap. Buuuuuut, you get what you pay for in th end.

Yes the VHT will hold up on o2 housings, manifolds and turbine housings and is the ONLY product that will do so, I have tried to get it to fail with super high egt's and it always holds up.

The surface must be blasted 1st as stated for best results.

GSTwithPSI

As everyone has mentioned, surface prep is really the most important part. If you can get the parts blasted before applying anything, that's the way to go. Otherwise, you need to make sure everything is really clean. Good surface prep is the key to making spray on products last.

tektic

I used Eastwood ceramic on my manifolds, and its not holding up. It didn't totally fail but its won't last long. the one they market as an interior coating spray.

I just used por 15 on my block. Its holding up nicely. High gloss and such.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Quoting SSGdave:
Quoting manikbastrd:

Yes the VHT will hold up on o2 housings, manifolds and turbine housings and is the ONLY product that will do so, I have tried to get it to fail with super high egt's and it always holds up.

The surface must be blasted 1st as stated for best results.

so i used the VHT on my engine block, i painted mine white and i have around 20k miles on the block since i did this and the paint has held up great. still white and not pealing. i did minimum prep work( i sprayed it with brake clean and didn't wipe it down) and then put 3 or 4 coats on it. the only parts that aren't white are where i had a small oil leak from the valve cover drip down and i had my o2 housing gasket blow out a few months back and the exhaust left some residue on the block, thankfully i have o2 heat shields and it didn't get blasted on to the alternator.

prove_it

Won't work without being fully outgassed.....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned