The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Let's see pics of your double DIN DVD/Nav install!

GSNT

I just purchased a Kenwood double Din DVD player and I'm a little lost on how to install it. It doesn't bolt up to the factory radio brackets, and the trim ring opening isn't exactly the same size. I don't want to cage mount it on the trim ring because that lacks security and makes it WAY too easy to yank out. Did you guys drill new holes into the brackets or make new ones or what?

I haven't really messed with stereo stuff in about 15 years and now that I'm old and out of the game, I just want to steal someone else's idea and make it easy for myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

You should be able to just drill the holes in the side brackets for it to fit. Just make sure you use some super short screws so you don't hit something on the inside of the new unit. Maybe find a junk console at your local junkyard and hack off the sides so you have an idea of how it should sit in the hole.

I just drilled holes in the stock radio brackets. I believe that there are indentations on the bracket that matched two of the mounting points on my Kenwood Double-DIN navigation.

mistaVR4

So where are these pics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

desant78

agreed seems like a cool project..love to see how it looks before commiting time to it...

GSNT

So I tackled it myself today. I need a new double din OEM trim ring, does anyone have a nice shape one for sale??

Brunoboy

i think there was one for sale in the FS section a bit back.

Drilling is pretty much necessary to install the DVD player. The User manual will provide clear picture regarding the wiring harness. Best of Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alainb7

Here is my installation.

click

You see it better at the end, begining was shoot in the garage (Total Dakness)
Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT, 5.8" screen, GPS, backup cam, mp3, SD & ipod control.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

I installed a new JVC double DIN unit in my car using the factory radio brackets. Side brackets bolted to the head unit with the supplied screws, no drilling required. Installed factory radio trim ring, and had to use some adhesive to hold the radio trim ring to the factory ring. Wasn't any harder than the same install with a single DIN unit.

asmo

I did like he did, 1807 had the original radio it was a double din.
The factory brackets bolted right to the pioneer.

GSNT

I had to re-drill the factory brackets for the Kenwood. I ended up mounting it through the factory trim ring and using the Kenwood ring over it. I'll upload pics tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned