The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

LED dash questions.

cOmpressor

Changing the bulbs over to LED will not get you these results. If someone wants to send over a spare cluster I will pm you with what I do.

Example with my DD camry:
This is with the dimmer all the way down.

I received my LED's today. Everything went ok. There are 4 little light bulbs that are a different size than the other 8, I have to try and figure out what led from superbright will fit, does anyone know? The WLED-5's will not fit in the little ones. I even tried grinding one down but there is no way the 5's will fit unless I massacre the thing. It's a HUGE difference from what it was. Apparently they use less wattage to there is another plus. I went to a local craft store and bought some glass paint, iridescent orange. I painted the needles and it looks 1000 times better than before. If I want to change the color the glass paint peels right off. A tip if you paint your needles and change your bulbs, It's kinda hard to tell which way is the right way to install the lights. It has to be on the pos/neg sides correctly for the leds to work. Before you install everything right leave the plastic coveroff and put the cluster back in. Turn the lights on and you will be able to see around all the cracks which lights are installed correctly. Make a mental note of which ones aren't on and flip them around. Then just reinstall everything when your finished. VOila Done!

P.S. Anyone know what size LED from Superbright will fit into the four little sockets?

Last edited by a moderator:

Boostin21

Terry... I got 2 i can send ya.

Save some money and do it yourself, if you think you can handle it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It's not even hard at all. I just found out what size you need for the 4 small bulbs in the gauge cluster... It's 74 like the other small ones.. This website will identify which bulbs to use www.sylvania.com And this website will tell you which bulb will be replaced with what led at Superbright click
Or better yet here is the list right here:
1991 MITSUBISHI Galant

Low beam headlamp
9006SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
9006ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9006XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
9006CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

High beam headlamp
9005SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9005XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
9005CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

Parking light
168LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front turn signal
1156LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Rear turn signal

Tail light
2057LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Stop light
2057LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

High mount stop light
921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

License plate

Back up light

Front sidemarker
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Rear sidemarker

Ash tray

Glove box

Dome light
DE3175

Step/Courtesy light
DE3022

Trunk/Cargo area
DE3022

Instrument-general

Hi-beam indicator

Automatic transmission indicator

Directional signal indicator

I'm going to have to get pics of it at night, But here is a shot in the day of the painted needles..
Before

After

3rdstrikedsm

Terry, I could send mine and pay for the bulbs,just let me know if you need it I would not mind having it brighter.

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
I have a non VR-4 cluster for just such a purpose, I can try to remember to bring it.

Just a couple pics of my lights now.. The middle 4 bulbs haven't been changed yet, there are still 2 orange and 2 green. It gives me an idea to use different colored LEDS to make an interesting effect, something I'll have to try..

Fever

Can anyone make a picture of inside of your dash (without gauges instaled)and the other side of the dash? I see VR4 dash has lightened up needles, not like GTI version dash (my version). I would like to light them up, but i dot know where to put new bulbs.
P1150207.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned