The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

leaking oil cooler lines (pretty bad)

okay so my oil cooler is off of a 1990 talon. i was going to replace the
steel braided portion thats leaking with hard line and compression fittings. (fuel/brake)
will that be okay? if so what size do i use? thanks

tektic

Steel braided portion? So these are after market line to begin with? Where is it leaking from?

transparentdsm

umm if you have a steel braided oil line replace it with a new one. don't be cheap, you will regret it. go on ebay and get a new steel braided line there like 20$

ive never had the best luck with steel braided. they always leak. i did hardline with new fittings
and routed so they wont be in the open

prove_it

Stainless braided are a bad idea on a street car. Dust and dirt get into the webbing and cause the inner hose to get worn out. Think of the dirt as an abrasive and as the hose flexes, the dirt grinds on the rubber.

mitsuturbo

BMRS convoluted PTFE is good stuff. You can get it with nylon, kevlar or stainless braid.

Wookalar

I would upgrade to some nice push lock barbed AN fittings and never have to worry about it again. There are tons of oil cooler upgrade threads on this forum, and with info re porting the oil filter housing relief hole if you have balance shaft eliminated.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I wouldn't really call push lock much of an upgrade.

BMRS/Progold hoses are the best money can buy. You can usually find complete, assembled hoses on ebay in the size you need for less than the cost of 1 new ProGold fitting. Often times they're still new. The fittings (hose ends) alone cost about $30... each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Last edited:

Wookalar

Post pics of your set up. ^

Wookalar

Quoting TylerFaulkner:
ive never had the best luck with steel braided. they always leak. i did hardline with new fittings
and routed so they wont be in the open

You may not have assembled them correctly. I was never good at assembling the cutter type fitting either but boostedinaz is pretty good at it. He has assembled several braided lines for me and none leak.

LOL @ SS braided lines are bad for street cars. There are still a few lines on my car from when previous owner installed them and none leak, they are likely from 2003ish. There are thousands upon thousands of gearheads who are going to have dirty SS braided lines from street driving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'm inclined to believe that a "race" car with SS braided lines would get just as dirty after months or years of racing as street cars logging a few thousand miles. I suppose climate could play a part.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have never had a braided line leak from assembly, though the location of said leak is not described here.

Quoting tektic:
Better yet go on summit

Caution against buying Summit brand AN fittings. I have read accounts regarding the poor quality, and they are not really reusable. I always use Earls or Aeroquip.

I used Aeroquip rubber blue pushlock fittings and hose on my oil cooler set up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned