The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

last alternator question PLEASE HELP

yeti

I got a working alternator but don't know how long it will last
Its from an 89galant (I think) and I think that's the 60amp so I don't know how well it will do

Should be in by fri,

steve

Do you have/run your AC? Big stereo? Etc?

yeti

the AC does not work and i have no rear speakers and a stock stereo
and no other electronics other then the neccesary

i do have LED lights though

yeti

no gauges are hooked up
i do have a narrowband afr gauge,,,oil temp,,and boost gauge,,

ALSO found a greddy ext. temp still all hooked up under the steering wheel but no gauges

yeti

YA BUT I DONT HAVE GREDDY GAUGES TO GO WITH WITH EXT TEMP
I HAVE 3 gauges afr,,oil temp,,boost
i think im gonna hook up boost gauge when i get home

yeti

ok now im having fun

i FORGOT how where to hook up wires on alt
the only one i remember is the obvious the 2 prong plug

any 1 got any wiring diagrams for alternator or point me in the right direction

i just do not wanna hook it up wrong and then the first time i fire it up blow the alt.

img.php

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting yeti:

That's the power wire that connects the alty output to the battery thru the 100amp fuse

Quoting Jepherz:
Wire in the 2nd pic probably goes to the dummy oil pressure sender.

I believe that is correct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is just a bracket that gets a bolt thru it in the hole marked with a blue arrowin the bottom pic. All that bracket does is keep the the cable/wiring harness from getting intimate with the downpipe/exhaust.

This round guy plugs onto a stud style sender on the front of the power steering pump.

img.php

Power wire to stud indicated by red arrow

Bracket to blue arrow with a bolt (not shown in pic)

Bonus points for a ground wire installed on stud indicated by brown arrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You'll have to make your own wire.

A black 10awg wire works well, just put a ring terminal on this stud, and run the wire over to a ring terminal under one of the bolts that holds the power steering bracket to the block. It will help the alty case "see" a more consistent ground, and I've had good luck including it on all the alty's I've installed over the years.

[edit]
(yes, I know the alty should "see" ground thru the mounting brackets, but I've seen system performance increase/stabilise on every car I've installed this jumper ground on.)

ymmv /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

yeti

Will tryn put in tommarow
and I should hook up wiring harness before I put jester bolt in right....?

And will post pics before I fire the car up

Could the 100amp fuse been/stil be the problem the whole time?
Or would I definitly know if that was fryed?

yeti

And is it going to be in the fuse cluster under the hood or under the dash?
Going to the house now and if I hook up the belts wrong could it mess it up
Or would it just not start

I believe it is off the positive terminal of the battery, a few inches from it if I recall correctly.

Quoting yeti:
And is it going to be in the fuse cluster under the hood or under the dash?
Going to the house now and if I hook up the belts wrong could it mess it up
Or would it just not start

A word of advice....just be patient with it and thank God you don't have to drain your radiator everytime you swap it like I do (external wastegate fun).

yeti

For sure
I will be patient as possible as last time I attempted a job,
I snapped a bolt off then used an easy out and snapped it off in the intake manifold.

it cost me bout 200 in the long run to fix when I could of just drilled the bolt out in the first place instead of using an easy out like kragen said

yeti

i got jester bolt in and thats how far ive gotten i stopped a few hours im going to get my friends tool kit

only part that i dont feel 100% on is the belts and the auto tensioner is this something that wil adjust itself

yeti

Looks like ima change the oil and filter so I can get the nut on the end of the jester bolt unless any1s got a trick or a tool that would fit right in there all I got is a basic 50piece set and the smallest ratchet won't fit

Diego

WTF man, if you got the bolt of with the filter on you should be able to get it back on. I digress.

Anyways, you can take the filter off ( you don't need to, again I digress ) and then install that pesky nut.

If you follow the steps up top it should be cake. Or VFAQ.... there's another place that will give you a step by step with pictures.

So how many monkeys does it take to change a gvr4's alternator?
No offense, but when you have an actual difficult problem you need help on, people will see Yeti posted it, and bypass your thread all the way around. +1 on v-FAQ man. Step by step with pics should be all the help you need

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned