The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knuckle and Front Control Arm Removal w/Pictures

quote:Originally posted by Pivvay:
Remember how many people have never done *anything* when they start off with these cars. Lots of stuff that's easy now was hard for me 2 years ago Oh yea
blush.gif
I have forgotten about that it has been almost 4 years since I bought my GVR-4 and have changed out so much stuff that most things seem like cake to me. BUT I do remember now that about a week after I bought it I needed to change the 3 drive belts and that took me about 2 hours to do
shocked.gif
being confused as all hell on how to do it, and that I remember being at work (autozone) thinking that if the check engine light ever came on I would be screwed because I had no idea what to do. WOW how things have changed.

quote:Originally posted by Charles:
Oh yeah, and I put in Front Control Arm energy suspension bushings and Front Control Arm Noltec chassis bushings. Everyone was giving tips on how to remove the sleeves... Why did you remove the sleeves? Mine went right in (perfect fit) with the sleeves still intact. I did end up using a propane torch and hammer to melt and beat the old bushings out though. It depends on the brand. Noltec replacements for the lower front CA front bushing require that you completely remove the stock bushing (sleeve and all) to get it to fit.

As for loosening the outer ball joint on the lower front CA, the local dealer gave me a tip: Hammer away at the cast knuckle surrounding the ball joint stud with a BFH (leaving the nut on the ball joint stud) until it breaks loose. I was convinced it wouldn't work, but he proved me wrong.
smile.gif

steve

quote:Originally posted by Kibo:
Originally posted by Charles:
[qb]As for loosening the outer ball joint on the lower front CA, the local dealer gave me a tip: Hammer away at the cast knuckle surrounding the ball joint stud with a BFH (leaving the nut on the ball joint stud) until it breaks loose. I was convinced it wouldn't work, but he proved me wrong.
smile.gif
Worked for me, once I realized that I hadn't unbolted the sway bar end link, did one of these:
banghead.gif
, looked like this:
blush.gif
, and then removed it. Came right out.

quote:Originally posted by josh long:
Originally posted by Romanova:
Originally posted by stevevr4:
[qb] Did your rotor come off the hub easily? Mine is being a royal pain as well.
I hear you brother. Follow the VFAQ for stuck rotor removal. I beat the f*** out of mine with a hammer and it wouldn't budge. Grab a nut and a bolt, take about five minutes and it popped right off.
grin.gif
I used the two opposing threaded holes in the disk to "press" off the rotor am I missing somthing?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts