The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JIC coilovers too stiff

Hello I have a set of JIC coilovers and they are just way too stiff. I reached out to the company to see if they have any spring options(8kfront/10krear) but wondering if there was any recommendations seeing I don’t think they make these anymore.

mooserage

Staff member
You could measure the springs, then buy a different rated spring in the same dimensions from companies like Swift. I did this with a set of Megan coilovers, changing out the original springs for a set of Swifts at a different rate (-1K/+1K I think).

Feal, for example, ships theirs with 7k/7k, which will be quite a bit softer than 8K/10K you noted for JICs. That said, using another damper's rate as a reference is not a perfect science. Most of what I've read on the subject suggests staying within 2K of the original rate in either direction, since the dampers were valved to the original rate. That said, it's debatable how much mass manufactured coilovers were really "tuned" to a chassis or valve rate.

KiNgMaRtY

I've had KW V3's and currently on Ohlin's with 9/9 rates. They are very comfortable for being a coilover. I use to have Muellerized JIC FLT2's in a 2g GSX and they were very daily driver friendly. Mueller would revalve the shock and change the springs.
Seems like yours may be off the shelf and thus why so stiff. You could have someone revalve them for you. You can see if Mueller is willing to work his magic on them if not I know Feal use to revalve those as well. ago

diambo4life

My Galant has these D2s and they are the most comfortable coilover I have ever had. I can't remember the specs. However, my Galant having 800whp+, I usually switch out the rear to my AGX/600lb spring combo which is much stiffer since I want it really stiff in the rear when making high boost pulls.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned