The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM Transmission

fuel

if you simply type the gearbox code (W5M31-2-VRXC) into google it brings up pages (mostly in russian) that the box originates from a 88-92 shape Lancer/Mirage Cyborg 4WD. This is exactly how I initially found your first box was a 4G37 E37A box.

fuel

from digging in ASA that box is available from the 1990 onwards facelift and they have the same 2.846 rear diff ratio as a GGSX/E37A box.

I have to ask, if you are looking for a box for a VR-4 why don't you find an actual VR-4 box rather than incompatable and weaker boxes from other cars?

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

I'm in the process of finding an actual VR4 box, but I haven't been able to source one locally. The guy I bought the first box from had 2 others. When I picked up the first box, I hadn't done my homework, and got stuck with it. I got the part numbers from the other 2 boxes he had in case one was compatible, so maybe I could swap this one back to him for one that works in the car.

GSTwithPSI

Yeah, but those seem to be scarce as well. Most of them that are for sale are all built. I'm not looking to drop $1800 on a trans for a DD. Especially since the trans in the car is more than drivable. I actually found a 2G trans I was going to pick up. I drove an hour from my house to pick it up, and the Craigslist tool flaked on me. Gas, tolls, and 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. I f***ing hate Craigslist flakes.

Quoting misterfixit:
Did you drop a tape measure across the case of that one?

Rich

No, Rich. But I'll see if I can get a measurement.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned