The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

jdm plug wires

gmp

I'm running a cyclone intake mani on my car and well i got to thinking its about time to change out the old plug wires.But my only problem is that the jdm coil pack and wires are longer then usdm so i cant just go out and buy some plug wires.

I guess the question is where can i get some or maybe make some anybody got some idea's or maybe you had this problem too.

thanks gmp

:Mods please move to right section if this isn't right:
Thanks

belize1334

Are you using the USDM or JDM coil-packs. On my setup I didn't want to deal w/ switching the plugs on the harness and all that so I just attached the UDSM coil-pack to the side of the Cyclone manifold. It sits roughly where the JDM one would. I was only able to get it secured with one bolt but it's never moved so I don't worry about it. Setup like this I was able to reuse the OEM plug wires and now have a set of OEM replacement R-8 NGK wires. To make them fit I swapped the ground wires on the two coils so that the coil that used to fire 1,4 now fires 2,3 and visa-versa. I was surprised initially by how perfectly the wires lined up having done this but the fitment is like it was designed to be this way.

gmp

thanks i have a few laying around maybe ill do that for now

misterfixit

I know what you mean.. I measured the lengths of the leads, but am staying at my parents at the moment. when i'm back home one evening next week will dig it out and post. Yes the jdm ones are considerably longer.

It's almost 1=new, 2=1, 3=2, 4=3 for the jdm from the us. I'll also post the wire routing throught the clips and the like.

Rich

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Years ago Ken Inn got Kingsborne to make these for him. You may have to ask specifically for them. I didn't search the catalog, but you can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

http://www.kingsborne.com/

boosted_85

I'm not really sure but I do believe that accel makes a set for us without the coil side connectors crimp on, its like a cut to fit setup

Magnecor makes wires for the Cyclone intake manifold click

I think I have a set of them hanging up in my garage from when I had a JDM engine and Cyclone intake manifold in my car. Make me a reasonable offer on them and they can be yours.

Daryl

gmp

thanks for the offer "vr4underboost" i think i will maybe go for the cut to fit idea seems like a fun thing to learn.Or well maybe not fun but something new to screw up ahahah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

misterfixit

Here we go.. found the piece of paper tucked into one of the wiring manuals.. Wifey and son are sleeping downstairs so I had a clear run at the bookshelf!
Lengths are for exposed wire from the ends of the plugs

four runners DOHC manifold.
1, 305mm 5.8Kohm
2, 450mm 8.4Kohm
3, 595mm 10.6Kohm
4, 535mm 9.7Kohm

eight runners DOHC manifold.
1, 405mm 8Kohm
2, 515mm 9Kohm
3, 585mm 10Kohm
4, 685mm 12Kohm

I measured all of these as i had a massive problem with the car stuttering and hitting a ceiling on wot when i was sorting it from the P.O. I think i used a combination of leads from USDM a board member here, and off an *8valve 4g63 with the dizzy at the back. *changed the ends, real perverse as i wanted O.E. look with the correct red and correct writing/cylinder labels on the wires.

Once re-built/re-cored and the resistance was in spec then the car was sweet again!!

Hope this helps

Rich

misterfixit

Here's the wire pic

Rich

gmp

yeah thats great, ill be tackling this in the next few days im pretty excited to see what i can work out..ill get some pics up of the process and the finally product

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts