The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM Galant owners with cyclone manifolds - need specific picture

IncorpoRatedX

trying to make sure I have everything hooked up properly. I've got a JDM engine, ECU and engine harness, has working cyclone manifold, solenoids and ECU, just want to make sure I've got it all hooked up correctly. If one of you JDM owners wouldn't mind taking a picture of the vacuum solenoids operating the butterflies for me and where they're plugged into the stock harness?? It would be much appreciated.

BTW, i do NOT need the vacuum diagram, i have it, not worried about that, just want to verify which solenoid goes where.

cheekychimp

Josh,

It's 1.00am here but if one of the Aussie or Kiwi boys hasn't posted by tomorrow I've just picked up another bone stock JDM VR4 and I can pretty much guarantee every connection on this engine is as it came from the factory. If you can snap a pic of the exact parts you want to see, I'll snap pics when I get up about 6.00am!

Paul

cheekychimp

Yeah ... sixsixtwo is in town, we've been hanging out and then I fixed my computer. Josh if you'd posted an hour ago I'd have gone down with the flash already!

IncorpoRatedX

No rush Paul! I was going to mess with this over the weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheekychimp

Yeah I'm just not sure which parts you want to see specifically. Dan picked up some parts he was missing for his Cyclone system from my mechanic, so we were looking at everything before I went off to the UK. But as it sits on the car a lot of that is quite hard to see as it is under the intake manifold at the back of the block. I'll go snap a few pics from the top and both sides and take close ups of every connector and line I can see. If I don't get anything you need you'll have to yell and I'll snap it again later.

Paul.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Josh,

Can't load pics on the board again! If you've got an email PM me and I'll send what I have taken so far. Again if you can show me on the Cyclone or on the car which connectors specifically you want to see it would help. Autofocus doesn't play ball and homes in on the nearest hose in the bay. If you show me what you need to see specifically I can tie stuff back and follow the connections and harness from source to destination.

Paul.

mitsuturbo

i've had a few of these.. i found that if you remove the brackets that are on the top of the manifold (near injector 4 and injector 1) and maybe due to not having the support bracket from the block (the one with the vacuum lines on a stock USDM car) they were prone to cracking underneath

just fyi, i suggest running ALL the stock brackets with these manifolds

IncorpoRatedX

Thanks a ton Paul, I'm actually looking for the solenoids themselves and where exactly the belong and where exactly they are plugged into the harness. Whatever you have will probably help my email is Joshua.Mead at gmail dot com thanks again!

IncorpoRatedX

Paul, thanks a ton, but I dont see the vacuum solenoids anywhere, do they freaking hide them???

cheekychimp

Josh, that's kind of why I wanted you to post up pics of what you are looking for exactly. The JDM ECU has an additional circuit board in it specifically to control the Cyclone manifold. I believe Jeff (Keydiver) does chips for the USDM ECU that uses one or more of your four existing solenoids (FPR and whatever the others are in your emissions system) to activate the Cyclone. I think you might be barking up the wrong tree asking for pics off a JDM car for what you are trying to do because I think the Cyclone on the JDM cars is getting it's signals direct from the ECU. Or am I way off base and misunderstanding something here?

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

you overlooked a major part!

I have:

JDM compelete engine harness and dual board ECU and JDM engine, so my set up is the same as yours. if there's an english version of the jdm galant shop manual, i'd just look there.

cheekychimp

Ahh. Okay. Give me a minute! I think I copied the service manuals when I was back in the UK. I'll see if I have the cyclone system.

Edit: Okay, no dice on the service manuals,I obviously didn't copy any of the Japanese Manuals and the ones I have don't mention the Cyclone. I'll PM Rich and see if he has the Cyclone diagram.

I went over to the lil'evo site and found the following images:-

1st and 2nd are the original JDM installation diagrams but I think that is just vacuum so you may already have that.
3rd is supposedly a vacuum controller solenoid which looks like it is attached to the cam belt cover but I cannot see it in any of the photos I took. That 'might' be what you are looking for?
4th and 5th show a cyclone vacuum canister in white that is right under the manifold. Do you have this hooked up?

I say again, if you can show me pics of the parts you want to see hooked up on the harness I will search on the car for them and trace the harness back for you.

Last edited:

misterfixit

Josh,

Here we go. Paul pm'd me. missed the post as have been trying not to knock our house down!

I'll post the full set of info so if you need to troubleshoot any other aspect of the conversion you are in with a fighting chance.
Here's the system in the tech info manual:

Now you don't need to be whizz at japanese just play match the kanji.
Here is the solenoid. Don't worry if it's not clear yet (item v, lives behind the air cleaner can):

Heres the vac diagram. its exactly where shown underneath the wastegate pressure control solenoid.

Now here's the wiring connector location diagram taken from the 89.10 wiring manual(its item A-09 here):

Heres the wiring diagram for the whole engine management system:

And should you wish to pull it apart:

Hope this helps

Rich

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IncorpoRatedX

This thread delivers!! I love you guys! (no butsekz) thanks so much.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts