The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM Bumper, Projector Fogs And Turn Signals

BluFalcon

Got a great deal on a JDM bumper with projector fogs. I was wondering what people who had the same bumper/foglight setup did for their turn signals.

Did a search and found some people had wired the inner fogs to come on with the parking lights, and used the corner lights as turn signals with single bulb JDM corners. The projectors were wired to the factory fog switch. As far as wiring the corner lights for blinkers, would it be possible to use the 2 bulb US corner lights? I really hate dealing with electricity, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

4Grim

The JDM side lens are 2 bulb. I rewired the stock USDM signal harness to the portion of the lens closest to the fender as my turn signals. The portion closest to the headlight is wired as my driving/parking lights.

I have the JDM projector fogs and wired the lights for the projectors to light up along with the parking/driving lights.

Here is a pic:
pb030323mf3.jpg

The inner lens of the JDM projector fogs is wired to the stock fog light switch.

That is how mine is setup...but I believe there a few members here that have both the projector and standard lens of the JDM bumper lights wired by 2 different switches if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

turbowop

When I had projector fogs, I wired them on separate switches and wired the corner lights as blinkers. I hated using the corners as blinkers though, because they didn't pull enough amps to keep from speed blinking. I ended up getting JDM blinker fogs instead and use those as fogs/blinkers and wired my corner lights back to stock.

I never understood the use for projector fogs. Ones a fog and ones a projector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I found that the factory headlights usually overpowered the projectors anyway. They do look cooler, but that's about it, IMO.

jcgalntvr4-244

On my JDM galant they are wired up to have the regular fogs on when you have your low beam on and when you have your high beam on the projector light comes on and you can really tell the diff.

Last edited:

strokin4dr

So the regular(non-projector) fogs are wired to the fog switch on the dash?
The projectors are just wired directly to the high beams with no switch to turn them on manually?

jcgalntvr4-244

yeah pretty much thats the way I got her.

OMFGeofffff

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:
On my JDM galant they are wired up to have the regular fogs on when you have your low beam on and when you have your high beam on the projector light comes on and you can really tell the diff.

I understand the car is JDM but aren't foglights supposed to be off when high beams are off? Is it a law? These are general questions not meant to say your car is illegal and you need to change it right away.

DR1665

Fog lights and high beams laws vary by state. I've been pulled over by small town coppers in Oklahoma for not dimming my driving lights when he approached from the other direction, only to turn them right back on as I left the state. That's the only place I've heard of it between Phoenix and Kansas City.

Besides, high beams defeat the whole purpose of fog lights, which is to shine light below the fog so you can see the road, versus a giant, white cloud.

I've not gotten into the nitty gritty of how my fogs/turns are wired up now. My bumper looks JDM, but I was told it came from down under. Turn signals outside, fogs inside. Want to do the wire mod to keep them on when parking lights/high beams are on.

misterfixit

you need to change where the foglight relay feed is coming from, my jdm was set up to kill the foglights on high beam. I didn't like it like that, so i transposed the wiring to the European set up that allows the fogs to be on when the main beams are on.

It's fairly easy to complete (need to move some wires at the switch around. I'll have a think and see if i can remember how i fixded the wires and sort out all the wiring diagrams. won't be this week though.

rich

strokin4dr

So does anyone have a definite answer as to how the JDM cars have these lights wired up? If so, please list how the everything is ran including turn signals, etc with the JDM facelift fogs and which, if any, are wired to come on together, and which use a switch to turn them on. Thanks

Hertz

Staff member
The corners are the turn signals, the outside fog is low, the inside fog is high and they are activated by the fog light switch in the cabin. :duh:

misterfixit

search posts under my name and you'll see how car looks with the Jdm facelift setup is wired. correctly

rich

CP

My setup with single bulb JDM clear corners. They don't light up except when using the blinker. All bulbs are PIAA Extreme White, while the inner fogs have the Ion Crystal coating producing a yellow beam, like fog lights should. The projectors are wired to the stock fog switch, while the inner "fogs" utilize a relay connected to the auto trans "power" switch on the center console by the mirror controls.

Projectors only:

Inner fogs only:

Yellow inner fogs alone, independent of headlight power:

Both fogs illuminated:

The 93 headlight housings rock. I can have the high beams on with the yellow inner fogs, but the projectors turn off because they are wired like stock.

The way I've got my fogs aligned...the projectors give GREAT visibility right in front of the car, much like modern xenon light do, just below the low beam pattern/illumination area. This really helps with seeing and dodging potholes. The yellow fogs illuminate a bit higher, and give good depth to the low and high beams by adding some color. My high beams are standard bulbs, so they're not really white but also contribute to some good depth perception. The photos don't really do my setup justice, but it gives me several options depending on the weather. Now that I live in the sticks, I can adjust my lighting depending on the surroundings. I'll miss this when I sell the car soon, but will probably yank the fog housings and sell them separately to the highest bidder.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts