The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Jacking Point For Motor

desant78

Hey guys...here I am with another newb question.

I need to remove the motor mount on the driver side in order to attach the timing belt cover. Removal of EVERYTHING else has been easy, all that is left is the motor mount....

I in the past I have used a bottle jack to support the motor where I remove the motor mount from...I was wondering if anyone had any tips for our 4G63 motors? Never played with anything like this....suggestions please.

Thanks for the help!

TylerAdamson

Oil pan would be correct. Or you could get an engine hoist and use the bracket above the power steering pump.

The_Big_Weave

If you are worried about it just use a phone book I get one a year and that is all I use them for.

donniekak

As mentioned above, the oil pan is fine, but put something between it and the jack to avoid denting it. It's possible to dent the pan into the oil pickup, and have oiling issues.

boostedinaz

Quoting The_Big_Weave:
If you are worried about it just use a phone book I get one a year and that is all I use them for.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

jb4

I always use a cut down 2x4 between the floor jack and oil pan.

desant78

Quoting donniekak:
As mentioned above, the oil pan is fine, but put something between it and the jack to avoid denting it. It's possible to dent the pan into the oil pickup, and have oiling issues.

exactly what I am afraid of! thanks for the help everyone!

turbowop

Quoting jb4:
I always use a cut down 2x4 between the floor jack and oil pan.

You use a 2x4? I use a 2x6. No biggs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

i always jacked up on the oil pan with no issues, as long as your not picking the car up using the oil pan

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^ He's wanting to use a bottle jack, so that's probably not a good idea. It has a very small contact area, and it will probably bend the pan.

Phone book is an excellent suggestion!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned