The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intercooler piping 3in or 2.5in

slugsgomoo

I had to move my windshield washer reservoir in order to run 3" pipes, though i'm actually considering eliminating it, not sure i will want to cut out the nozzles in a cf hood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Honestly, I don't really see the reason to go 3" unless you have a really big turbo, the only reason I have it is the deal i walked into. Frankly, 3" isn't really necessary for my setup and it should be 75lb/min~ish

if you've got anything smaller, I think the downsides outweigh the upsides.

PJGross

Quoting curtis:
as long as the flow is laminar and the flow doesn't go turbulent benefits can be made but fast transition couplers should never be used. The atoms on the side of your IC pipe are locked on there because of the friction facto/roughness of the pipe then the air molecules pass over each other in sheer into a cone shape point.

Whether laminar or turbulent, I agree with the transitions you're talking about. However, somewhere in these archives I calculated and posted the Re (reynolds number) for a number of different scenarios and different pipe diameters (actually for intake airflow to dispell the whole "tornado" voodoo gassaver), and just in the Re for air through the pipe alone the airflow goes turbulent at a low rpm, before a lot of turbos begin to boost. However, coming out of the compressor ALL the air will be turbulent, anyway, so calculating the Re for the flow through the pipe is really not necessary. Even if it was, going into and through the IC would quickly change that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Which is actually beneficial for cooling b/c as you stated laminar flow has boundary layers which are much greater than turbulent flow, anyway.

-PJ

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts