The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

intercooler fin: to straighten or not

4wheelsqueal

So just received a jdm rs intercooler from a board member (Thanks gmp!) and it has bent fins. Have tried to straighten some sections and have ended up with some of the bent sections pulling off. Am using a jewelers screwdriver and needle-nose plyers and am trying to be as careful as possible but am still ending up with outer sections of fins breaking and pulling off. Am I doing more damage than good doing this?

H05TYL

I straightened what I could and broke off the ones that were too far gone.

Removing fins will reduce the 'coolers surface area to transfer heat to the ambient air, however even if you had to remove fins across 50% of the core to a depth on 1/4 inch the reduction in surface area will be much less than if you left those fins bent, blocking airflow to that section of the core completely.

4wheelsqueal

That's what my thought was but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Just a heads up, NAPA typically stocks a radiator/core support comb. Similar to what you use in your hair but made for straightening fins on heat exchangers. They work well too, I have one and use it every now and then, they only cost about 15 bucks too!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts