The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intake Manifold Shootout

quote:Originally posted by number3:
There are different models. I own 5-6 different sets of gearwrenches. You don't have to deal with the lip on all of them or at least you didn't. I bought my first set from the S&K tool man back in 99 I think. I've seen those as well (my friend has a set), but I searched high and low and couldn't find any reversible GearWrenches without the lip. It must have been only on the earlier sets.
frown.gif

Go Forrester!
wink.gif

curtis

Just don't put on the bottom bolts during all the swaps. There a pita and would save a bunch of time by not putting them on the stock and cyclone intakes. Also the phenolic spacer will give mixed results it should move the power band a few hundred rpm and help the hp because of the cooling effect that it helps with. Best of luck with all the wrenching.

we aren't testing phenolic spacers, only using the forrester one as Dale requested it be used since that's part of the engineering design.

I'll see about the bottom bolts and make sure it doesn't leak like that. It's pretty easy to get to most of the bottom bolts except on a stock setup.

Edit: BTW the forrester is on the car now in preparation since it's the biggest PITA so it will be first up tomorrow. Erik I do need that cyclone now so I hope you got my message
wink.gif

Looks like we're ready to go for tomorrow. My magnus is off the car and cleaned up, Dave's car is cleaned and ready, and I'm picking up the cyclone from Erik A. tonight. Thanks to everyone who sent donations. We'll be starting 10 am (MST) and I believe the forrester is up first. Should be an interesting day!

For the locals, remember this is closed to the public. Unless you've worked it out with Dave to be there, please stay home. This is in *no* way meant to offend or be exclusive. Its just going to be very very crazy and we aren't even unstrapping the car between runs to try and get done in a reasonable amount of time. We'll have data, info, pictures, video, the works.
grin.gif

I just got back home, I was very tired last night from 8 hours of wrenching on intake manifolds so we stayed at the inlaws place near the dyno. The results are interesting. I can't say anything until we match all the dyno, wideband and logs together but we'll try to get them out ASAP.

I'm compiling the data and will probably finish it Monday evening.

As a way of saying thanks to those that made contributions, we will release the results to them first. We will then make the information available to everyone else two days later.

Hal

autobahntom

The link is the information link at the beginning of this thread. However, the last time I checked, it was down for some reason.
Tom

Dam it I want some HP comparisons I dont care if the temperature was differient on each run or not, it was all done on the same car. It will still give us a better idea of what's going on. All these airflow charts dont translate into much, Chris didin't you do a little analyzing to figure out some more real world data? Where are the dyno charts that show HP and RPM??

Horse power levels from this test mean nothing unless the state of tune is altered to gain the best possible performance from each manifold.

Like wise, the rpm range used in testing must cover the optimum range for each manifold.

This test wasn't intended to show top power.

Like the results say, if you want max power then buy a BJ's or Magnus, twist the motor to 9500, and be done with it.

The airflow charts tell you a lot. There is even a little bit of interpretation done to help you understand what you are seeing.

Hal

Any links to other discussion threads concerning this? I'm interested in seeing some other interpretations.

On this old computer at work with poor resolution, it looks to me like the Venom trounces those two in the tested RPM range. And that you've finally proved that a 1g intake is good enough for 99% of DSMers.

Mark

you guys did a extreamly thourgh job on data coralation and alowing us to determin what suits our individual needs. WAY TO GO...
grin.gif

I'll comment here later but Hal said most of it. Read all the data for a while and think about it first.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned