The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Install 264's, new lifters - can not get car to idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarRacer

If it takes half a second to check the timing why did it take you ten days to figure it out?

sleepyvr4

I never changed the timing. It idled fine, then it didn't. I've since had the head off and on twice lol. Been busy with other issues. Still won't idle.

Who know's what's up with the cams. they are used. maybe that's why I ended up with them for free lol...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

charmcity

My guess is wrong cam in car maybe its in right, just in the wrong car....

sleepyvr4

I know all setups are different but damn - it was fine prior, stock 92 cams are around 250ish.

I keep monkeying around with the fuel, biss, etc. and no matter what when it falls through the r's it chugs to stay alive a few times under 1000 rpm and dies. Almost like there isn't enough rotational mass or something (ACT fly)

?

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3run.gif

So you have a hole in the valve cover or something in it's place? Perhaps something with a hose attached?

H05TYL

did you try setting the idle correctly as per www.vfaq.com?

joemoto

Did the CAS connecter/wiring get mangled?
Did the fuel pump die?

belize1334

What's your fuel pressure? Did you change the pump at the same time as the timing was done? Maybe your rewired walbro on OEM fpr is making it too rich to run.

Last edited:

evo8ya

Double check that the timing belt marks are lined up correctly at TDC. Seems like that's where your problem is. My 264's idle like stock. GL

Quoting joemoto:
Did the CAS connecter/wiring get mangled?
Did the fuel pump die?

I had the exact same thing happen to me on a swap I just did. The cas wiring looked ok, but after I pulled the pins in the harness itself, I found the first white wire was actually only contacting with maybe 2 strands of the wire and it was giving me hell.

atc250r

Staff member
Put the front cover on and actually set your ignition timing?

sleepyvr4

You gotta look back and actually read what I originally wrote.

Nothing changed except the lifters (3g) and the cams.

The timing was dead on prior to install. Cam gears were zip tied and one cam at a time was changed.

There were no other variations. Timing was not changed. No fuel pumps were installed, etc...

The car simply does not want to stay running anymore. It idled perfectly prior - I tried another cas and it didn't care. The car can be hot or cold and it doesn't matter.

I have since had the head off a couple times and the idle is still mud.

Who cares about bfp - it it was fine prior to the cam install what difference would it make after? You telling me 264's give a hoot about bfp? Cmon people...

I eliminated all of the same components on my gvr4 - and never had any problems (retained stock cams).

Forget the damn timing cover - you don't need it. I ran for over 2 years w/o on the g ride - it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo simple to check timing now even the members of tuners could do it. 2 cams and one crank to time - wowsers - tough stuff.

SINCE THE CAM INSTALL THE CAR SIMPLE STUMBLES AND THE R'S GRADUALLY FALL UNTIL IT DIES.

EVERYTIME. TIMING DEAD ON. NO BOOST/VACUUM LEAKS. ALL ELSE PROPERLY ADJUSTED.

There's so little going on here I can't believe something obvious hasn't presented itself.

Guess the cams are lame-o. Oh well - the best things in life are free...

CarRacer

Obviously his arrogance is hampering his ability to figure out there's a difference physical timing and the CAS timing. Idiocy at it's best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned