The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Info on NPR piston rings

ApexHunter

I bought some 2g NPR pistons and rings off ebay, and i'm trying to figure out the material of the 2nd compression rings. I've got it narrowed down to either cast iron or nitrided steel, based on the information on the NPR site (i've got 3pc oil rings).

I'm trying to figure this out so i can gap them correctly. They didn't come with any info on the suggested ring gap nor have i been able to find any floating around on the net.

If anyone knows or could let me know the correct gap that'd be great. TIA.

fivestardsm

I had to do the same thing with a set I had. I will try and get you the info tonight if no one else does.

Last edited:

Quoting ApexHunter:
I bought some 2g NPR pistons and rings off ebay, and i'm trying to figure out the material of the 2nd compression rings. I've got it narrowed down to either cast iron or nitrided steel, based on the information on the NPR site (i've got 3pc oil rings).

I'm trying to figure this out so i can gap them correctly. They didn't come with any info on the suggested ring gap nor have i been able to find any floating around on the net.

If anyone knows or could let me know the correct gap that'd be great. TIA.

What did you gap the top ring at? I usually gap the rings base on how the motor will be used.

Steve

ApexHunter

I haven't gapped the top ring yet. Any suggestions are welcome.

BTW, as far as how the engine will be used: 91 octane, ~11:1 AFR, SAFC/KD stage III chip with 2g timing maps, s16g, 18-20 psi max but most driving will probably be in the 14-15psi neighborhood. FMIC from a saab 9-3 viggen (substantially bigger than stock but not big). BPR7ES's, 0.028". I'm rebuilding the head, but basically all stock with the exception of bronze valve guides. Street car w/ possibility of a track day every once in a while.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

So for the top ring a little bit bigger than what is specified from the FSM, and on the 2nd ring the large side of FSM spec....makes sense. More power = more heat = more expansion i presume.

Thanks for this info Steve. What kind of rings were you using these gaps with?

I use those specs on most of the motors I build. I would say I have
used every ring out there with those specs. I have the NPR rings in my DD with those specs
and don't have a problem running 36psi on pump daily. This motor has been in
the car for a few years with many different turbos but currently runs the
PT6262.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned