The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

In need of lots of help

Hey all,

I recently purchased a galant vr4 shell and I'm going to need lots of help from this community.

I have all the interior parts, a carbon fiber hood, wiring, ecu, wheels, rotors, and all of the suspension is brand new. I was told it already has a 4 bolt rear end? I'm not sure what that means and if that's better than the 3 bolt rear end? I also have the driveshaft.

How can I find out if I need a 23 or 22 spline transfer case?

Also, what should I start with on the car? I started to clean up the inside of the car and I'd like to start on putting this huge mess of wiring and fuse boxes back into the car. Does anyone have pictures or anything that would be of use to me so that I'd know where all the wiring is routed and everything?

What should I do about the radiator support(I believe that is what it's called) and where the bumper connects?
DSC02952.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what's missing on the front end of the car so please do let me know.

How similar are the regular galants to the gvr4's? Are many of the parts on these cars interchangeable?

I know I'm asking a lot and it may seem like I'm in way over my head but I am already learning a lot and would like to learn more and be able to say I built this car myself.(of course with the guidance of you guys) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Please feel free to add any other suggestions.

Thanks for all the help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

lococabbage

SouthCaliVR4

You are def missing a lot up front, can you pull the headlamps, filler panel & post up another pic of the front "naked" so to speak. The stuff yo need up front should be the same as a plain jane Galant 89-93 while I may be wrong I think you have some welding in your future putting all the front supports back in.

Do you have the front lower (bolt in) crossmember & the two lateral bolt in cross members? On those I am unsure if reg galant will work but I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't off the top of my head. As for how it should look take a look through some of the inter-cooler threads as well as some of the build threads to find pic's. otherwise when I start the body work/paint on mine next month I can snap you a couple shots with the front basically bare.

The four bolt rear is stronger then the three bolt. kinda like a gm 12 bolt is stronger than a ten, though in this case it refers to the number of axle bolts rather than the number of cover bolts.

I'd have to get back to you on some of the other stuff but can post up some of the diagrams 4 you just don't have the right computer to access the info right now.

Take your time & do it right & she'll love you back. might not be a bad idea to get a 1g awd tel (talon, eclipse, laser) to use as a parts car for your power train needs, that way you'll have all the proper hardware. note that the mounts are the same EXCEPT the front mount bracket, you'll need a vr4 specific one there.

Best of luck.

524of1000

I would clean first, then do the wireing and such. If theres one thing I've learned about restoring these cars, it's start from the back and move foreward.

I'll be sure to take pictures tomorrow morning. And yes, diagrams would help lots. thanks.

I do not have any of the crossmembers. Do you have any pictures to those specific parts? If they are interchangeable with regular galants I will be sure to look around for them at the junkyard.

Does the 4 bolt rear end have an lsd?

I have a bunch of wiring harnesses, I just need to get to em and see what's what.

To be clear, the driver's side motor mount, rear motor mount, and tranny mount are the same as 1g t/e/l's?

I'd look only to AWD galants for your crossmembers. I've tried using 1G AWD crossmembrs and although they bolted up, it took quite a bit of straining with prybars and such. When I found actual VR4 crossmembers, they were an effortless bolt in. It has been a while since I've looked under a FWD galant, but I know the FWD 1G's have a totally different crossmember array than an AWD 1G. I'd imagine mitsu would build the galants in a similiar fashion.

Yes, the four bolt has a LSD.

The front mount bracket (part that directly bolts to the engine block) is for sure different. I can't remember if the actual mount (part with the rubber) is the same, but I think it is (75% sure).

I will post pics of the engine bay and the inside of the car I pretty much finished cleaning it.

turbowop

I think you're going to need to find a buddy with GVR4 or DSM experience. Preferably somebody with a working GVR4 that you can look at and compare to see what is needed as you go along.

I gotta give you props for starting a project like that without already being in-the-know on these cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Adorsey

Good luck with this, you'll need it!
It wouldn't be a bad idea if you search for the car in the site, pictures from a previous owner, build thread, "newbie" post, ect.
Definatly take the time needed and do the research to do it right, the way you want it.

Have fun!

mitsuturbo

That looks like a very good starting point. There's going to be a lot of work involved, but if you take your time and do everything right, it could easily be one of the cleanest galants around, provided the rest of the car looks anything like the subframe and firewall. The FWD galants have different crossmembers that run front-back, and they lack the one that goes across the front of the car. FWD galants have a crossmember that bolts under the steering rack, and in the front to the radiator support, which your car appears to be missing.

Wait I'm confused. Would I be able to use any parts from the front end of a fwd galant or no? And my buddy is working on his dsm (eagle talon) and I have a couple people from the chicago shift forums (local) willing to help out who live close by. Today I bought a 1g AWD DSM 22 spline transmission and transfer case for $250, good deal as long as it works, and I was wondering if the 92' shifter cables and shifter assembly would match up with the 90' transmission? Also would an AWD DSM gas tank fit on my vr4?
i.e. click

Sorry for the lag for the pics tomorrow I'm going to degrease the tranny and x case and hopefully find a front end so I should have pics up tomorrow night. I am trying to figure out the wiring that I need to get done so I can put in the carpet and back seats before Saturday so if anyone has any pics or info on that please post it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jepherz

Staff member
'90 transmissions used different shifter setups, but I think as long as you have the portion on the transmission and the actual shifter inside the car from a '90 it would work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the gas tank, no, you'd have to find a tank from an AWD galant (vr4 or gsx) as well as the sending unit.

Well I have a 90' tranny and x case with a 92' shifter setup. So that wouldnt work?

mitsuturbo

The primary difference on the transmissions between 90 and 91+ is the bracket (attached to the transmission) which holds the cables. One is staggered more than the other. You can make it work EASILY, i just don't remember if you keep the bracket with the car, or with the transmission. For some reason i think it's the car.

As for FWD galant.. you can use some front end pieces, such as bumper, lights, horns, grill, hood latch support, and i believe radiator support as well.

moidsm1

looks like someone was rebuilding the front end cause its soooo clean and the bolts look shiny! Take your time, Im going through the same thing with shifters, cables, brackets blah blah. Try to get get all the same year matching. But you can make it work either way.

SouthCaliVR4

Yup i forgot about the fan resistor, Not in my line of sight when I'm under the hoodtypicaly I guess. On the diagrams, I was hoping to find some that showed harness routing on Alldata but no joy. I can give you diagrams of specific systems but you'll need to tell me wich ones you need & they still won't specify how they route through the car. Perhaps someone close to you will be willing to stop by & help figgure out the routing using their car as a guide or someone else may have the routing diagrams, They're in the service manual but I don't have a way to scan them Sorry.

Yea my shell is really clean now I scrubbed the inside for about an hour today lol tomorrow I'm sanding the base metal welds and spraying it with primer then I am going to start de-greasing my transmission and the xcase.

Is there anywhere online I can find a front end? I've called multiple junkyards for any awd galants and I havent had any luck at all.
There's maybe 1 kid that lives by me that knows anything about gvr4s but would someone with any dsm know how to wire it?
Today my transmission was leaking through the hole where it meets with the xcase is that normal? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I will put up specific pics when it is cleaner.
Which service manual do you have?

So my goal before I leave is to have the interior body cleaned up and ready for the wiring and have my tranny and xcase clean as well. I am trying to get into contact with the person who sold them to me so I can get the matching shifter cables and assembly as well. Over winter I am going to start piecing together the interior and search for a front end and my buddy is going to try and take the car to his school to weld the holes under the front seats and remove the lock from the gas cap. Any suggestions on what to start doing asap?

wowzer

Your best bet is trying to find someone parting out a gvr4 for the Sub frame pieces you need. You may want to try and get a jdm front clip. that will give you most of what you need.

SouthCaliVR4

Thats not a bad call, try & get a front cut. My bumper came from a board member in canada who used to get them with some frequency but I think he sold his car & is not on the boards anymore. anyone who can give our OP the info on doing that?

3rdstrikedsm

Wow that car is still floating around? This was Gordians old whip.

I dont really have the money right now to get a front clip but I found two of them. Today I painted the inside of the car and the roof black it looks nice and I took pics but the flash ruined it so I will post it tomorrow

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned