The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Idling weird, cutting out, dying

Let me continue to beat this dead horse...My idle is still the same (see above)
I need to remove the recently added Blaha MAF (used one) to see it this might be the culprit, but when it starts missing bad at idle I can attempt to bring the revs to 1500 and it still falters.
? There was recently a post about the transistor (resistor? mind melt down today)near the coil pack. Is there an easy diagnostic of this part? Also, would a coil pack show symptoms of beginning to fail or do they just give out? Recently I've noticed even holding RPM's at say 3k (no load) that it has a slight miss in it.
sorry for long post...

AHHHHH

I have this problem! I was about to order an ISC tonight BUT.

My caps are yet to get done..

It is really annoying...
1)Doesnt do it untill it warms up
2)Never stalls
3)Oil light flickers when it does it
4)idles at 750ish drops to about 650 and then cycles again

What path should i follow i dont want to just throw parts at this problem?!

How did anyone else make out with it?

TIA, Dave

Hertz

Staff member
Caps first, for sure. Your capacitor leakage can cause shorts that can knock out other things... like your ISC.

ken inn

i second the caps. years ago, i had really strange problems, stalling, ce lite, bad idle, i even got the dreaded code 44. i remember changing out the output transistor, coil, and cas. all new, big bucks. the caps fixed it. i was lucky, and i even did the caps myself. the longer you wait, the worse it will get.

My car is have this same goofy idle. Any thought that it might be the Throttle Position Sensor? Kris

THis oil light is worrying me....

I am going to get a hold of keydiver SOON

I hope he is available to get this done within the next week or so...This is my daily.
frown.gif

Well after jacking around with this idle for ever now (TPS sesor, set timing a couple of times, AFC adjustments, etc) it should be cured now.
Sent Jeff my ECU for the Keydiver chip mod and he noticed that there was acid damage to the board at the ISC driver. Didn't notice it when doing the caps last year. DOH!!!! How many times has he told us about this and I just didn't think that was it.
Thanks Jeff!!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned