The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Idle surge

alik

My idle surge has become a major annoyance. Nevermind the rise and dip anywhere between 800 and 3000 RPM, but the car won't even idle!
(I have the cyclone intake, no other mods...)
I tried to play with FIAV (remove the TB, pop the water plug, turn the insert), but the damn insert barely turns. I'm pretty much losing patience at this point. A friend suggested to check the idle switch (by grounding it).

I welcome any and all other suggestions. Thanks!

P.S. click this is what I followed.

Last edited:

manikbastrd

I just did the JB weld method. If you have link, try grounding the ISC. From the sound of it, it could also be a leaky TB. Have you done a BLT?

alik

I have no clue what BLT is.
I don't know how to ground the ISC.
Leaky TB? As in, replace?
And, pretty please, where is the linky to the JB Weld method?

manikbastrd

BLT=Boost Leak test Link to video Use this tool to simulate boost on your system. Find leaks with the method depicted here and here

As far as the How to on the JB weld method, You just fill in the FIAV ports with JB weld and let it cure for a day (I just baked mine in a toaster oven till it was hard) Here is another link pertaining to this subject. FIAV link

For a leaky Throttlebody, you can either buy the seals and replace yourself or you can get a rebuilt one from this guy > TB link
He is super helpful and offers great tech support. Rebuilt unit comes with everything you need to replace yours.

Hope this helps. Sorry i couldn't find a proper writeup for JB weld method.
-Manik

alik

Dude, that is certainly a detailed explanation.
However, upon advice of a friend, I pulled the TPS (throttle position sensor, not sure if that's the right abbreviation) wire, and, voila, the idle surge is gone. Of course, I don't have an idle right now (it holds at about 1200-1500, anything less and it dies), but at least I don't have to hold down the gas pedal to keep the engine alive at the stop signs.

Next stop, replace the idle switch sensor.

P.S. Of course! Not like everything was gonna be easy.
Can't find the damn idle switch on flebay or rockauto. Gonna give JNZ a shout and see...

Last edited:

manikbastrd

The idle switch and TPS are two completely different things. Good call, I didn't even think bout that. The TPS is the round sensor with the three wire pigtail going into it, while the idle switch is closer to the firewall on the back side of the TB, with a single wire going to it. If you end up needing a new TPS, I have a known good one that I can let go for a fair price. If it's just the idle switch, that is a different story.

If (when you get it all connected back up) it still wont idle at the right RPM, follow the writeups on how to set base idle. Before you do that, you must know that your sensors are good, and properly calibrated, you have no boost leaks, and that your base timing are correctly set. Once you do all that you can reset your idle to the appropriate level.

Best of luck!

alik

Apart from idle switch, everything else appears to be normal. But, we shall see.
(I have this really really stoned idea to have this thing run as reliably as my Miata. I think I need another drink).

The TPS seems ok. I'll test everything else later. Too bad you don't have an idle switch lying around...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned