The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hunting Idle on Hot Start is driving me nuts!

dlesser

That sucks your not seeing a change. I hate to say it but it might be easier to just get the entire TB rebuilt. All new seals, etc. Not sure where but it still sounds like too much air is passing through. Shaft seals?

Do you have your EGR blocked off?

GSX_TC

Yeah that's what I was thinking, egr is still there. It's wierd Bevause if u listen with your ear up next to the TB when it's on right before the already surging gets kicked up a notch, you can hear something like compressed air being forced somewhere, then the idle goes up to nearly 3000 and surges and there's no way to bring it lower. I already have the biss set at it's lowest setting.

dlesser

Grab a can of starter fluid and start spraying it near the TB at idle. I have used this to pinpoint the problem.

Have you tried following this?
click

When I get lost in an idle surge issue I usually come back to the vfaq and it helps me find the problem.

GSX_TC

already tried spraying parts cleaner near the TB, didnt do anything, it did almost die when i sprayed it near the ISC though, im just gonna take the dam thing off and send it to that guy steve who rebuilds them, but first im gonna try looking at one last thing before i send it off. im gonna pull the EGR valve off and see if thats in working order and clean it up a bit. if its fine and still surges even after i've cleaned that too, then im giving up and having the whole thing rebuilt. this surging is FREAKIN ANNOYING man!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

beaner

If you have not done a boost leak test yet, you are wasting your time and money. With an idle that high, I would first check for leaks between the throttle body and cylinder head.

GSX_TC

Boost leak test was done already man

dlesser

You said is almost died when you sprayed near the ISC. There are o-ring gaskets for the ISC and yours could be toast...

click
click

Still wouldn't hurt to get the whole unit rebuilt.

cheekychimp

Just to update on my problem, whilst investigating this hot start fuel enrichment solenoid suggestion, we discovered that the 10 year old AFPR is losing pressure. It may or may not be the issue but obviously it is not helping. That's going to be replaced together with the fuel pump in the next few weeks and I'll report back if it solves my issues.

GSX_TC

Quoting dlesser:
You said is almost died when you sprayed near the ISC. There are o-ring gaskets for the ISC and yours could be toast...

click
click

Still wouldn't hurt to get the whole unit rebuilt.

Just for kicks I went ahead an ordered that o-ring for the ISC, whenever I get a chance I'll send back the ISC that I just recently bought Because it's not working correctly. Hopefully the next one I get will fix the crazy surging.

GSX_TC

replaced the o-ring didnt do a dam thing, idle go all the way to 3300 and surges up there. what the hell is making this get worse?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned