The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how to balance rear brakes on gvr4

BENE38A

hey i failed my WoF (warrent of fitness) i need to balance my rear brakes the left weight was 90 and the right weight was 140 how do i balance it?
also my brakelines are apparantly mounted wrong, has anyone a pic of there rear brakelin bracket mine may be the wrong way around, cheers.

BENE38A

the left weight is 90% the right weight is 140% so how do i even them? i know how a drum works but discs??? is it in the caliper or?

fuel

I'm guessing you've gone to a VTNZ station? They always pick up a brake imbalance usually.

Some ways you can get around it is by pulling the pads out and then swapping them side to side. Or it could be one of the caliper pistons is sticking - I would perhaps pull the calipers off and disassemble, clean and then reassemble if there's no obvious signs of rust or pitting in the bores. Make sure the caliper sliders are greased up too.

BENE38A

haha VTNZ yea.... he spent twice as long inspecting the car, they did a truck and a ute at the same time in the other lane. anyway will do that after work tomorow thanks mate.

fuel

personally myself I would just take it somewhere else for a WOF.. VTNZ employs failed mechanics generally.

misterfixit

I have posted about this before somewhere... but I put a response on your query in tech.

Rich

citymunky

That's crazy they check for brake bias from the left to right. Here in the US some states only care about pad and rotor thickness.

EHmotorsports

In Oregon they just have a tailpipe sniffer and make sure the check engine light isn't visibly on haha.

BENE38A

yea man every 6 months along with every thing else put it over the pit, they are anal but its easy its drive in drive out dont need to book. also failed a decibel test was 102 needs to be 95.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting citymunky:
That's crazy they check for brake bias from the left to right. Here in the US some states only care about pad and rotor thickness.

In states like mine they dont care about anything. You can drive anything you want, deathtrap or tank.

strokin4dr

^Same here. No inspections at all. Paid your yearly tag fee and you're good to go!

fuel

They've recently changed it in NZ so any car first registered before 1st January 2000 is only subject to a 12 month inspection and a brand new vehicle doesn't need an initial inspection prior to being registered, and any car older is subject to a 6 month inspection. Previously it was any car that was more than 5 years old needed a 6 month inspection, and anything newer a 12 month inspection with brand new cars straight from the showroom floor having to have an inspection before being first registered.

In my opinion making it more relaxed is a bad move in New Zealand, there are too many people who rely purely on the inspection to find safety faults with their cars. The inspection is only inspecting the car on the day, and if say the tyres are just borderline then they probably wont get replaced until they fail the next inspection 6-12 months later. Given that it's nearly 2014, in a months time there are going to be 14 year old cars driving around on the roads in NZ only needing a 12 month inspection where previously it was 6 months. The average age of the fleet of vehicles registered on New Zealand's roads is 11 years old, which means the majority of cars there are relatively unsafe vehicles compared to today's standards and combined with more relaxed inspection I think it's just asking for more trouble.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Alpha Male:
Quoting citymunky:

In states like mine they dont care about anything. You can drive anything you want, deathtrap or tank.

In utah they care about brake bias F/R and R/L. They drive your car onto a skid plate tester and apply the brakes fairly hard. If it doesn't pass, you don't renew registration. There are no exceptions for this. There are no "waivers". They also have emissions standards which are as strict as those you'd find in California, but there is a standard process for waivers like any other state that requires you to pass emissions. Here in WA if you live in certain zip codes you have to pass emissions, but no "safety inspection" is required regardless of where you live.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned