The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How strong is a stock GVR4 Transmission?

GSX_TC

Here's a link with info on that

click

raptorWagon

Quoting GSX_TC:
If u get a built auto trans from IPT you'll be all set. Consistency FTW

just don't expect it to hold up if you plan on running 8s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

4thStroke

I wouldn't bother with IPT. The guy that English is using has the autos down very well without making the dumb mistakes IPT tends to make from time to time.

You need to realize the reality of the auto and how much work it can be to do the swap correct and keep it clean.

With less than 400 whp, a taken care of tranny will do fine, just don't insist on killing the gears if it doesn't want to shift. I ran 55 gallons of ethanol through a stock tranny this year at around 550whp. I made several tuning pulls trying to get everything dialed in, including the ecu controlled boost and it held up fine. This same tranny has been in there since ive been daily driving it at 440whp for over a year.

I did however shred 3rd gear when I insisted on ripping on the car every opportunity I had when I was daily driving it at 530whp.

raptorWagon

^ Thus my comment about IPT, after all the issues Jeff went through with them before going through Metro Trans.

4thStroke

Yes, Mark at Metro is a very intelligent guy. He was recommended by a friend years ago before I was ever in the import scene and was looking to have a tranny redone.

Also, if you have access to the ECMLink message boards, the drivetrain section is flooded with threads from guys having nothing but issues with their autos. The autos do hold up, but it can be a nightmare getting them set up correctly.

pauleyman

"good shape" tranny doesn't mean that it shifts well only. If you really want to know what's going on you have to take it apart. I've seen plenty of trannies that shifted ok but had ridiculous play inside. How is a gvr4 center diff any different than any other? The tranny is the same as any other except for the input shaft and first gear and of course model year differences same as any other mitsubishi.

Vr4junkie

I plan on opening up the tranny and inspecting it and replacing any thing that is damaged I belive my 2nd is going out it would grind softly but go into gear easily...
I'm very interested in the auto tranny now I would think being an auto it would be weaker but I guess not.around how much will a Shift kit and Stall cost??

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned