The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How many VR4's AREN'T left?

SmoothCustomer

yeah. That's right. Apparently, I'm the only person to realize that this is obviously the easiest way to get a possible approximation of how many ARE left. So, any one who knows a badge number of one that can't ever move under its own power ever again, let me know.

2of9

first off, i think we have to know how many there are first. Once we know that, we can subtract that number by the total number of VR4's shipped here.

So...

B= Galants Alive
C= Galants Shipped
D= Galants N/A (Not Alive)

B-C=D with a -/+4 off the TRUE number...

EDIT:
TOTAL USDM GVR4= 3009
ALive and Running= 1700(??)

N/A= 1309 (3009-1700)

thats my guess.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting SmoothCustomer:
yeah. That's right. Apparently, I'm the only person to realize that this is obviously the easiest way to get a possible approximation of how many ARE left. So, any one who knows a badge number of one that can't ever move under its own power ever again, let me know.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif How is this question any different than the number that ARE left? All anyone KNOWS is the total number shipped to the states. Obviously...

turbowop

Agreed. No matter how you look at this, the variable is still the cars we know nothing about that are or AREN'T out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

SmoothCustomer

Alright well I based that question on my guess that obviously not even close to the true number of vr4 owners is on this board, although probably a fairly decent percentage of the ones that have been taken out of commission were taken out due to people on this board.

My releated question - How many people actually have one of these and really do not know what they have.

"Ya I bought my daughter a used Mistubushi 7 years ago - time to sell it...."

Don't hear those surfacing like we used to 5 years ago...

That was where the treasures were found.

TylerAdamson

I ran into a guy at a local Napa, he left before me and as I was walking out the door I seen he was driving a Galant. My first thoughts were "If only it were a VR-4". Well he fires it up and I can hear the turbo and he pulls away, sure enough it was a VR-4. I don't think he's on here and haven't ran into him since, but once I do I'll be sure to have him register or at least make him aware of the site.

isn't Iceman all over this?
He tries to keep track of what is and isn't alive anymore.

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Alright well I based that question on my guess that obviously not even close to the true number of vr4 owners is on this board, although probably a fairly decent percentage of the ones that have been taken out of commission were taken out due to people on this board.

I think a more intelligent person would surmise that people NOT on this board are more responsible for disposal of VR-4s.

SmoothCustomer

Ok, that's true but at the same time not nearly enough out of the nearly 3000 owners there could be will ever be found. But wouldn't it also make sense that more people on here would know of the ones that have been destroyed? The people on here are the people going to junk yards finding them.

jepherz

Staff member
Let's just make it easy and assume that any vr4 not accounted for by Iceman's tally is gone. So there are some 600 odd cars left. Sounds good to me.

DR1665

I'd base an estimate off the ratio of known scrapped cars to known existing in this community. Are 20% of them destroyed/wasted? Then I'd apply this ratio to the original whole - 3008. Assuming 20% are scrapped (by enthusiasts, although not everyone here is an enthusiast), figure roughly 600 have been scrapped and the most optimistic number remaining would be 2400 or so.

Of course, another option might be for people to chip in some cash to buy 30 days of unlimited Carfax reports, then volunteer their time to run blocks of GVR4 VINs. I *think* Iceman has *all* the VINs, which would make it possible to Carfax all of them to know *for sure* how many are technically still viable. Couldn't figure out badge numbers with this method, but I think it might be the most accurate.

Thinking about it, 3000 VINs would break down to 100 VINs a day (in a 30 day period). Get 10 people a day to run 10 Carfax reports and it would be a done deal. Just a thought.

Last edited:

I ran into an older guy in Milwaukie,OR driving a white '92 awhile go. He claims to have owned 3 or 4. He's never been on the board to register. A couple more people like him and the numbers add up. I also dont know if any of his cars just happened to find their way here.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I don't think we'll ever know the exact number. It will be a ball park figure at best. There are way too many gvr4 owners that have no clue about this website. How about the cars that were crashed and junked before 1995. Anyone think those are still around so we can go count them? I bet they've been ground in lil pieces long time ago at a a scrap metal yard and melted into something else.
Carfax has its problems too, its not exact and sometimes it can be misleading.

CarRacer

I just had a dude in a truck driving next to me say "Cool car, I own two" last month. I asked if he was on here, and he said no. This was only a mile from my house too.

There is no way to really get an accurate count, even with all of the hard work members like iceman put in.

curtis

A better question would be "how many JSB's will ever finish there cars".... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned