The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How many grounds on your car?

4thStroke

Quoting turbowop:
Unless you are dealing with some rusted out POS hoopty...

Um... did you forget which forum you're on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

curtis

Well I've fixed a bunch of different cars in my life that thought one in the trunk was good enough. One I drove round trip of 4 hours to fight all day to discover that was the problem. Its just cheap insurance and sometimes over kill isn't a bad thing.

alansupra94

Quoting turbowop:
That sounds great in theory, Curtis... but in practice, one ground works fine. Unless you are dealing with some rusted out POS hoopty, or have other issues, the unibody works great as a conductor.

I've tested the resistance between my trunk ground location and every factory firewall ground location as well as a bunch of random spots all over the engine. No resistance. ON BOTH CARS. It works fine.

Thats what I thought BUT I plan on running a few extra grounding wires to be safe. Did I mention I have a solar panel on my car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Brunoboy

so i will run grounds just to be super safe, where are the stock locations? and what are the best places to add extra?

Brunoboy

bump for answers.....

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting curtis:
Well I've fixed a bunch of different cars in my life that thought one in the trunk was good enough. One I drove round trip of 4 hours to fight all day to discover that was the problem. Its just cheap insurance and sometimes over kill isn't a bad thing.

Yes, however, this still doesn't prove if it is a chassis continuity problem, or just a corrosion problem at the point of contact. 20 spot welds is a lot of surface area for two pieces of steel to contact.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting brunoboy:
so i will run grounds just to be super safe, where are the stock locations? and what are the best places to add extra?

You'd want to ground to thinks like the head for ignition maybe? And intake manifold? Which is where the factory grounds are. Grounding the transmission isn't going to do anything except waste wire.

Brunoboy

They all connect to chassis correct? Or do they all connect to each other , then to the chassis with one 0 gauge wire?

turbowop

The chassis is like one gigantic ground bus-bar. Every wire that terminates to the chassis is connected since the unibody is one huge hunk of steel conductor. Unless you have a chassis so rusted out that pieces are falling off as you drive down the road, and as long as you connect to an actual bare metal part of the unibody and not some separate part attached to it, you should have continuity with all other grounds including the battery negative.

Last edited:

Rausch

Quoting jepherz:
Quoting brunoboy:

You'd want to ground to thinks like the head for ignition maybe? And intake manifold? Which is where the factory grounds are. Grounding the transmission isn't going to do anything except waste wire.

Isn't there a huge ground point there anyways?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned