The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How easy would it be to replace the roof?

turbophein

my roof looks like kids were dancing on it. its annoying already! i have a parts vr4 car sitting in my garage with a mint roof with a bonus because its a sunroof car, mine isn't. i was wondering how much work this would be to split the seam and reweld it together?

i have everything needed, the sunroof harness, sunroof, headliner, and roof, etc

prove_it

If your good with body work and a tape measure, it shouldn't be too hard.

Cut.
Weld.
Grind.
Fill.
Paint.

Sounds like on hell of a project unless you are a badass fabricator. Just getting the new hood to sit still while you were attaching it seems like it would be very difficult.

gtluke

I heard it's not that bad, since we have these filler panels it's just a matter of grinding the spot welds out, and replacing and rewelding. Nobody has done a how-to yet and I think it involves popping out the front and back glass.

Of course if you could find an old hot rodder - a 2" chopped top would look pretty cool!

^If I saw a 2 in chopped top GVR4 I'd laugh my ass off at the fact somebody did that and got custom made just to make their car look worse.

mooserage

Staff member
There is a local guy who did this for his rally car a while back. He swapped roof skins from a sunroof to a non-sunroof. I asked him about it and he said basically the same thing as Luke. Just drill out the spot welds, remove, replace and re-weld. And of course measure twice, cut once really applies with something like this...
-shamus

WesS

I was actually discussing this with another member (Gaylant-Joe) today. We had previously done it to a roll over tundra truck. Looks like it would not be too difficult, just time consuming. Would also be a good time to replace cracked windshields and all the molding. Remove trim. drill spot welds. Clean/Pull/replace weld back in.

Ian M

A friend of mine did it. Swapped from sunroof to non-sunroof. It's pretty basic metal work to anyone who's done collision or restoration type work.

Removing the windshield and back glass is the biggest PITA,after that it's straight forward. Like has already been mentioned,dig out the seam sealer,drill out the welds under the roof trim,remove the center panel,install the donor roof panel,and plug weld it on through the holes left by removing it from the donor car's roof,re-seam seal.

There isn't any exposed welds or filler to deal with,it's all under the trim on the roof.

Last edited:

misterfixit

Quoting turbophein:
my roof looks like kids were dancing on it. its annoying already! i have a parts vr4 car sitting in my garage with a mint roof with a bonus because its a sunroof car, mine isn't. i was wondering how much work this would be to split the seam and reweld it together?

i have everything needed, the sunroof harness, sunroof, headliner, and roof, etc

just need front and rear windshields out. the rest of the welds are exposed when you pull the rain channel mouldings. just drill all the spots and lift the skin. do you want the body manual sections?

the rest is bolt on

rich

Last edited:

1badgvr4

How easy would it be to wire up the sunroof stuff to a non sunroof car? I hope its easy cause i hate wiring

turbophein

should be plug and play with the right sunroof harness.

turbophein

what is the best way to remove a window, i tried on my jeep a couple years ago with some piano wire and some sticks for grip but it didn't work. i just kicked out the windshield fixed what i needed, and had the insurance replace the glass.

DR1665

I've been researching this recently. There are special drill bits for drilling out the spot welds which do not result in giant holes all over the place. It makes it easier for welding the panel back into place when you're done. At the same time, though, I think I'm just going to use some kind of adhesive like is used to join a number of panels elsewhere on the car. I don't think it would take too much heat, unevenly applied, to result in oil-canning in the roof panel. It would annoy the hell out of me to have the roof skin wobbling in/out at speed.

I'm still a few months out on this project, though. One thing at a time.

strokin4dr

I will be doing this soon. I'll make sure to take lots of pics for you guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned