The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How do I wake a sleeping giant?

This VR-4 hasn't been running in 5-6 years.

What steps should I take before I try to start this beast?

I need to drain the oil and replace the filter...

I'll probably pull spark plugs and give each cylider a squirt of something [any suggestions?? - maybe sea foam] and let it soak a bit... then turn the motor over a few times without plugs... so there isn't any pressure on the bearings.... I can check compression while i'm at it

I need to remove fuel pump... probably go ahead and replace it. Does the high pressure 255 Walbro require me to replace the FP regulator?... maybe the high pressure 190 instead...

What other steps should I take?

What are the odds that it'll run after sitting that long?

Terry Posten

Pull the valve cover. Make sure there is no rust on the cams.

Change oil and check all fluid levels.

Don't let the car idle too long without driving it or at least get all 4 wheels off the ground and get the tranny spinning to get all those bearings and races lubed. The tranny does not have a pump, it slings oil to get its lube and just the input shaft spinning wont lube it properly.

Checking the comp before firing will show very low. I would not even do it. You can check after you have properly warmed it up.

While you have the top t-belt cover off, make sure the belt is in good shape and is not loose.

Good luck.

curtis

Change the fuel filter and while its off take an air nozzle and blow out the lines. You'll need to disconnect the lines in the rear of the car at the fule pump as well to do this but you want the sediment /crap out of there. It could brake free and clog an injector inlet. Then on the driver side bottom of the tank is a belly drain. Get that old gas out.

boostedinaz

Quoting syclone1452:
How do you wake a sleeping giant?

My wife usually starts by rubbing my leg then slowing moving her hand up farther and farther. Seems to work pretty well since we have one kid already.

I will that draining the gas is a good idea as well. After that long it is mostly likely bad.

fivestardsm

Very likely.

I have started motors that have sat even longer. I think the longest setting motor I ever got running after draining the fuel out, was 8 years. That was how long the car had sat since the transmission puked in it. I had it in my possession for 3 years before I tried to start it. It ran fine with minimal smoking. After I changed the oil it cleared up, but the valve seals were pretty toasted. I sold the car that way tho because the kid was happy to have bought such a clean car with under 100k on it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned