The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How do I determind how big of a Wastegate to get???

Terry Posten

I am going to start buying the pieces and parts for my exhaust setup.

New manifold, external WG, flanges for piping, etc...

How do I know what size WG to get?

I see 38mm, 50mm, 60mm, etc...

I have a 60 trim Garrett on a 2.3 stroker. I spin it to 7500 revs with BC 280 cams.

Tial is concidered the best right?

What else?

Space is a concern. I do have AC and PS so relocating things is out.

click

Best bang for the buck and exactly what you need. Compact, light weight, not expensive, etc...

Rausch

traditionally the higher the pressure you plan to run, the smaller the wastegate you would need. Low boost set-ups need to bypass a lot of exhaust gases, and therefore need to be bigger. It's more critical in low boost applications to have an accurately sized wastegate.

If you still plan on running the high test/pump gas mix with a lot of boost, i'm sure a 38MM or so gate would be good. i really don't see you running less than 20psi /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/devil.gif, so i think you have more of a selection, as it won't be as critical. This should help with clearancing things as well.;

I would buy tial over just about anything, but the ones that Curtis brought up awhile ago (don't remember the name) look nice as well.

added this:
Quote:
A side note, the larger wastegate typically holds boost pressure more stable than the smaller wastegate size. Most, if not all cases of unstable boost is created from poor wastegate placement. If wastegate placement is pre-dictated from the manufactuer, and unstable boost is a problem a larger wastegate should be employed. The Tial 35/38mm wastegate is sufficient for 500-600whp level, which is contradictory to what most turbo Honda's use at higher boost levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

JNR

Tial makes an excellent product and their customer service is A+ from my experience...There is a lot of good info on the 'net about this and it *seems* the breakoff point of what's considered 'high' and 'low' is 20 psi, but who knows how concrete that is.

Not to sway your decision, but I will have a Tial 46mm that was hardly used up for sale shortly /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif I've cleaned it up to look basically new and it's in excellent condition (diaphragm looks new) and has the dual spring setup, which I was told is 13.5 psi, as well as a SS outlet pipe. Let me know if you are interested, after you do your research and make your decision. [Edit - this may be a little big, physically speaking, if you want a compact setup, retaining your PS, etc., unless you run it off the manifold. I know VP made a recirc O2 housing for the 46, but not sure how many have used it, etc.)

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
I like my Tial 44 because it goes on with a v-band clamp so you never need to worry about gaskets blowing out. Is the turbo a bolt-on or a T-3?

John

curtis

Galantvr41062

It works for birth controll I guess....
They need a disclamer that says it does not protect against STDs next.

~John

steve

Nice vid. Learnt something!

Quote:
Watch this video

This is what I'm wanting in a bad way.

So you're wanting just a copy of the JGS manifold that I posted a couple of replies up? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

Oh yea and shameless plug I have a wholesale account with synapse if you want a wg curtis /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/tongue.gif

curtis

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

I'll be yelling, the one you posted above is sweet also I just like how space saving it is.

bazeng

Go for the largest gate you can fit.

I had a 38mm gate in the vr4 on a turbonetics manifold with a gt35r turbo on a 2.3.
It climbed from 15psi all the way to 27psi at 7500rpm.

I'm not sure if it was due to the turbonetics manifold, but when i closed the exhaust valve, boost held fine at 15psi...

Pay a little extra and ensure that you can regulate your boost....

I now have a tial V44, very cool v-band clamps, no gaskets to blow and easy to bolt up!

Thats my advice..

slugsgomoo

the goofy thing about "space savings" on that synchronic gate, is that the only place i've seen where it would really be useful would be on v8 TT setups where the gates are tucked in a long narrow gap.

On a dsm though, it seems like length is always the bitch, not width.

ive got a 44mm. seems to do all right. i really havent got into a lot of boost, but no gaskets!

Mark

If you are going to run a lot of leaded fuel I recommend finding a tial wastegate with a leaded valve(their racing valve) over the regular valve.. After a while the regular valve tends to gum up and can stick.. Seen it happen on a few cars.

Last edited:

Quote:
It works for birth controll I guess....
~John

Hah, beat me to it. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

He mentioned at the end of the video about using Synchronic "technology" (I saw no new technology, just a new idea) for fprs; does anybody know of any on the market yet?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts