The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HID Retrofit - DONE RIGHT

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting strymeckirules:

got my 6000k hid's in the mail. have to do some slight aiming to get it perfect, but i like them very much. the cutoff pic was taken at 7 am with the sun rising. i will have to take a night driving pic tonight.
this project was well worth it. night driving visibility is awesome.
i want to change out the high beam/driving projector to one that has a cutoff, so i can run all four lights at the same time. i'm gonna get 8000k for the highbeam/driving so it will be a little more blue than the low beam 6000k. i think that will look very sharp.
and i will also get some angel eyes and wire them off a switch so that i have full control of them.
that last post with the link to the angel eyed galant - who did that? do they have projectors? very curious....

you were on the right track with this project until you went on about the 5000k and 6000k and angel eyes.

angel eyes are just bad taste, so whatever, that's your call.

but anything over 5000K is retarded. This is why:
lighting over 5000k is beyond the spectrum of the sun, which is the best light for the human eye to distinguish colors and objects, anything beyond that has a negative impact on the color rendering of the human eye and is outputting wasted lumens (light that the human eye cant see/use) as it's out of the spectrum of the human eye. 4300-5000 kelvin has the highest color rendering index. You would want around 4500 kelvin if you were concerned about actually being able to see. People often misunderstand this thinking that the higher they go in the kelvin chart, the brighter the light will be, which is dead wrong.

i like 6000k lighting because of the WHITE color it puts out.
5000k is too yellow, like the sun.
6000k is an electric light color, like welding light. i like it.
it has nothing to do with brightness of the light for me, it's the end result color i want.
that's why they offer higher spectrum COLORS. for an appearance, not brightness.
that's why i also mentioned the blue 8000k. for the blue color, not any sort of brightness factor.
i'll admit it's all vanity, but what isn't on our cars nowadays.

turbowop

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif @ wanting headlights to be a certain "color", rather than putting out better light, yanno, so you can see where you're going.

jmorri15

i dont know why everyone is bashing his choice of color temp for the lights. His projector setup is better then 99% of anything on the site, so even if he doesnt have the ideal color temp his lights are still better then most.

turbowop

Putting HID's/projectors in a car is for better lighting. Why ruin that by using higher color temps? Because it looks too much like the sun's light output? WTF?

jmorri15

because his headlights could be 8k's and still better then most everyone else. the projectors look great and even with the 6k's should perform significantly better then any stock headlights. so hes not even loosing performance compared to stock and he get to personalize his car.

jmorri15

maybe 8k is a little high. but 6k's in those projectors will still smoke stock headlights

Barnes

Empirical data or it didn't happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif

jmorri15

HID BULBS vs HALOGEN BULBS
However, all HID light is much brighter than Halogen, even if it is a 35W 8000K HID bulb, the light output still maintains well over 2700lm; which is still brighter than 55W Halogen with 700lm.

JNR

4500 k is already in the white spectrum, not yellow, and IMO about the right 'hue' without going overboard...once you get into the blue (6k+) and then purplish (8k+) spectrum it actually starts getting worse than better and then you're going for looks at that point.

I don't mind HID light output, but what I cannot stand is white LED light anymore (not headlights, but other things) when it comes to homes and inside cars, etc.

as you can clearly see from this chart, i went with a white light, and i still want a white/blue light to customize the look.
i'm glad a few of you guys "GET" this concept. thanks for the support.
clearly many of you are in the "dark" about this modification.
i'm also quite suprised at the lack of knowledge out there regarding hid's and projectors....

turbowop

You're the one that admitted you're doing this all for looks. I get your concept, I just thinks it's dumb.

I drive my woman's '09 Audi A4 all the time. The HID projectors on it work great, put out good light, have a nice cutoff, and look fine at the factory K rating. I'm not going to ruin all that by using ricer lights.

i'm not looking to impress everyone. especially not the ignorant.
this project was to show others it could be done and what it would turn out like.
if you don't like it, keep running your oem setup.

i have better quality light output at a custom color and that is not available in oem.
and i did it properly without blinding other drivers.

and A4's are for girls. i hope you have a dolphin air freshener hanging from your rearview mirror.

turbowop

Uh, I said the A4 belonged to my girlfriend. So good call on the "for girls" comment, genius. And you're calling others ignorant? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Enjoy your purple headlights. I hope it helps your clapped out GVR4 to turn m0ar heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IncorpoRatedX

I think you're missing the point.

by going outside of that specific kelvin rating, the lights are producing light that your eyes cant use, while you do see the color and they may be brighter than stock, they're not operating within the most efficient range for the human eye to be able to see and perceive objects.

it's obvious that you think you know what you're talking about and while you understand lighting to some degree, you obviously do not know what you're talking about.

SmoothCustomer

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lilsis.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fling.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/emu.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/all.gif

JSchleim18

Dumbest thread ever. Let him do what he wants to HIS car. it's not a big deal.

JNR

Wait! He is from Canada, eh, so maybe that's why we don't get it here?

GSX_TC

Lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned